How to put an incomplete PhD on your CV?

G

I was wondering if any of you could help with this, as I'm not sure what to do. I consulted the Careers service at my Uni, but because I'm no longer a student (and didn't complete), they were unable to help.

I dropped out of my PhD and am unsure about how I can 'market' the experience on my CV. I want to put it in the 'Education' section, but I didn't complete so am not sure if this would be appropriate. I never got to the upgrade, so I won't be walking away with an MPhil. Alternatively, I was thinking of just putting it in my 'Work History' as 'Postgraduate Researcher', even though I didn't get paid to do it! But as PhD students, we are actually considered part of the staff, aren't we, so this wouldn't be untrue.

I hope the fact that I quit my PhD doesn't put off prospective employers! Has anyone had experience of this? I'd love to hear about your situation and if you did eventually find work. Thanks!

A

Hi Gisella, You might want to take a look at another thread which relates to 'Failed PhD - Any Advice?' You will read about a litany of academics causing significant problems for students in reserach. I would simply state that you did X years of research with Dept. Y. You learned useful techniques and know something about how to write up results. Please take a look at this thread and be shocked at the closed mindedness of universities twards students when it suits their own political agenda.