How to recruit volunteers for a project

Hi, can I pick your brains please... I am organising a public event/exhibition in September as part of my research. The funds aren't enough to employ as many assistants as I would need. So I will need help from volunteers to carry out some of the tasks. What sort of payment should I offer, would it be rude to offer very little (i.e. enough to cover lunch and travel expenses)? Or should I just offer lunch at the site but not mention any payment? I have a feeling that the experience would be very useful for some students but I don't want to abuse this fact. On the other hand, if I could afford what they deserve, I wouldn't have to advertise for volunteers. What can you advise me?

T

You could always offer food and a pint afterwards?

What is the project you are doing?

H

If its going to be good experience for some students then they would want to do it. I don't see why you cant advertise it that way. If I could be involved in a project that was interesting and good experience, I wouldnt care about getting any money etc from it. Maybe just food?

C

Offer lunch on site - and advertise it as good experience!

Thank you for the replies. In that case, I will offer lunch only (I wish I didn't feel bad for not being able to offer proper payment). I also think of inviting all the volunteers to the Private View so it can be a good networking opportunity for them.

ok, in fact why don't I kidnap them now (2 months before the event) so they can help me with housework too?

T

And one to fan you while you are working

T

And one to massage your feet while eating grapes on the chaise lounge being cooled down by the fan.

DanB, sorry to hear about blisters. If you can't part with the shoes, you can always buy a new pair and display the old pair as an art installation on your wall? // I guess you are right about adding this to their CV. I suppose I can list the volunteers' names on the exhibition website as contributors, so they can put the link on their CV... Just an idea. //After your replies here, I sent the email to the person who will advertise the voluntary work, and I didn't mention payment, only lunch and invite to the Private View.

P

404 - how is your tooth? Did you check out the Brighton Dentist in the end?

pea, thank you for asking. In fact, thanks for reminding me that I should write another thank you message to the Brighton Dentist on that thread. It is very strange but my dentist's receptionist called on Monday and told me that there was a cancellation for this week (tomorrow). So I will be able to see my dentist tomorrow instead of next week. I am still in pain but not as much. I've never been this scared of anything though // Thanks DanB. I'll keep the forum informed and send you guys an invite.

H

In my own work, I ask for volunteers. They either want to do it or they don;t. Then provide lunch and a pint...and if have dosh pay for their travel expenses...but this can get complicated so I usually just go for the lunch and/or pint!