How to start a literature review?????

OK so 3 months into the PhD, I've read a mountain of papers to figure out what my subject area is all about but have not yet started wrting. Thanks to all the guys who gave suggestions for mind mapping etc. So I've listed about 10 sub-headings about areas that I think at the moment should go into my lit review - I don't really know if they are correct as I have had no contact from my supervisor.
So I guess my question is do I just start writing? And how do you start writing? My leaning is to write an introduction to my topic and a general outline of its importance but that just seems so vague.
How do most people start off? And does it seem so intangible to everyone?

A

I think the best thing you can do is just start writing! It doesnt matter how rough an idea it is, dont' worry too much about style, specific words etc just get down the thoughts in your head! I find from there its easier to go back and edit things/add references, move them around even delete them out when you've finished and decided they just dont fit - or better somewhere else!
the hardest part is starting so once you have words on screen its so much easier to see their place and importance etc! it all depends on what your subject is and how long it is to be, but as an introduction what you've said is ok

Sorry this isnt more indepth but really busy and don't want to be procrastinating too much...! :)
Best of luck

Write sections on each area, so you end with a load of individual essays - this will be much more useful in the future than a 'finished' article.

R

Hi EV,

you could try for each paper you have read to write a tiny summary with an indicated key word. Cut these out. Put all parts together with the same key words. Write a short passage about each key word based on the information you have just put together. Then juggle those short passages together into a logical sequence. Then try and connect the different parts, then add the introduction and the conclusion.
:-)

Thanks for the advice guys. I now have some words down on paper. Well, only 266 and I'm sure that they are awful and they will be totally edited out by the end. But I have only been at it for an hour and have set myself a target of 1500 words in 4 hours time (as I am taking the evening off and going for a drink with a friend). I feel a little bit better now and hope to meet my target.
I'm wondering if I should be really pushing to meet my supervisor at this stage? I've only met him once (1st day) so have no idea if I'm going in the right direction or not. Or is it general practise to have at least a draft written 1st??
Thanks guys, this forum really helps!