how will endnote react to putting 2 chaps.together?

S

This is a technical question and it is what I have written on the title but want your personal experiences on this. I want to put two chapter together (or maybe should do this at the end of all chaps) and have put references at the end of each chapter.

1) Would it work If I cut and paste them in a new doc?
2) should I cut the second chap. and paste it to the first chap. ?

Don't want to try without getting some help from someone. really scared of what muddle I will get into.,-)

W

Sheena, why not save the copies that you currently have, put them out the way in a separate folder, and then makes copies of the files, put them in another folder and try merging them together, through cut and paste to see what happens, sort of like an experiment? You don't have to save it if it all goes wrong. Am I making sense, or have you already tried that?

S

Thanks Wal, (Sorry for shortening your name). I was looking for a easy way out by asking someone who has done this & not ending up in a disaster. time is of essence to me and didn't want to do it if this does not work. I was actually thinking about doing the same but got go back to writing, will try this when I have a spare hour or when I feel sleepy (if it becomes a disaster then it would certainly wind me up big time and sleep would not come near me for a while ;-)

just copy and paste the writing from chapter two (not the reference section) and tag it on the end, then click 'update bibliography' and the references for chapter two will magically appear!

S

======= Date Modified 22 Oct 2009 20:04:58 =======
Thank you Sneaks. Just the info I needed from someone who did that.Now I can do this without getting a panic attack ;-)

S

Just wanted to update on my 'disaster' on putting all chapters together in a new document. The formats got messed up, double space things went single spaced, most of all the reference list did not appear 'magically'. It kind of for one chapter but at the end of the table of contents and only after the headings for that chapter. Its such a long document now, I just feel it's going 2 crash and headache to look at table of contents as it takes forever to get to top.
HELP! (Have the copies separately though, so no major damage)
:-(:-(:-(:-s

Y

Hey, there are two ways of doing this I've found; The easiest way is just copy and paste (only select the text to copy not the references!) Ctrl A to select the text, Ctrl C to copy and Ctrl V to paste. This work really well especially if you've used the same formatting template on both documents. The other option is to go for pressing "insert", "file" and choose the one you want. You have to have written them both in the same template or it all gets messy in terms of numbering and figures. The references for the inserted document will appear at the end of the inserted document rather than at the end of the text. You can delete the list , select all the text and then re-formatt the bibliography  using endnote. The references will then appear at the bottom of the document in the original list. So it sounds like you need the second option for your stuff.
To check everything updates correctly do Ctrl A then right click and select update field and update entire table. I'm assuming your using Word and Endnote for this. I hope this helps.