How would you define an academic position?

L

Despite my best intentions, I'm still obssesing over this. I'm not sure what is an academic position exactly? I know that lecturer or I guess most types of research positions within the university are. But what about a research position at an outside institution (not the university)?

R

As far as I know if it's outside of a university then it's not an academic position... I would think the definition of 'academic' is that the position is one in a college/university - I could be wrong though!!!

S

do you know the expression of an "academic question"? often used in connection to something that once seemed relevant, necessary to know - but then it turns out that you do not need to know in order to make the decision at hand. so then the question is "academic" in that it might well be an interesting question, in itself, but of no use.
so that would be where my "definition" of an academic position comes from. an academic research position is where you do research for no particular reason apart from it being interesting, and wanting to expand knowledge (not saying that this can't later lead to useful products). a non-academic research position would be a job where you do research in order to make a profit, for example.
with the privatisation and marketisation of education and research, the distinction is however quite blurry these days.