Humanities thread

R

Nice thread !
I am currently a Ph.D candidate, meaning I have not started my classes yet. Anyways, I will be studying some field in Linguistics 8-)

C

I'm also in my first year and only about two months(ish) in, but feel so behind already! :-) . I want to be prepared before the storm hits! I'm studying 20thC Am.Literature, but I think I've spent more time decorating my study room to make it comfy to work in (procrastinating in other words ;-) ), than actually doing any work!
I'm sure it won't be long now for that feeling of urgency to re-appear it's ugly monstrous-like head and shake us up a bit, and when it does I'LL BE READY TO SORT IT OUT GRRRRRRR! :-s ...... actually, come to think of it, the monster looked a little bit like this snowman here.. (snowman)  hmmm.

C

The body of a (snowman) and the head of a (robin)

M

I'm in! I'm in the second year of a classics PhD (hopefully, if I ever get my upgrade chapter finished!!).

C

Hi everyone, hope you're all happy and working hard.:-)

I have a question and I was wondering what others here think. How long does it take to write a good, solid 5000 words for submission? What's the expected time frame that the supervisor will allow you to complete roughly this many words?

Also, (because I have to submit 30,000 by the end of this year), what's the 'expected' amount of time to give yourself to go over all the work/drafts to perfect them? I've allowed myself 3-4 weeks. Is that too much or too little?

C

I am a few months away from completing a thesis on C18th British history (robin)

M

======= Date Modified 17 Dec 2009 10:07:24 =======
Cobweb: if you know what you're writing about, I'd say a week to write 5000 words. 900 words a day (sometimes less, sometimes more) and then one day to edit etc. That's how I work any way. It usually takes me longer to research/gather my thoughts etc though.

Is 3-4 weeks to redraft 30,000 words? I think that's plenty of time xxx

M

Quote From chrisrolinski:

I am a few months away from completing a thesis on C18th British history (robin)

I'm so jealous. M,x

C

Thanks Maria. That's put my mind at ease a little bit.

N

Hi guys,

I've been away for about two weeks  but it's great to come back and see a topic like this! And the Christmas smileys, hurray (gift)
My topic really stretches across disciplines but I'd say it's drama with lots of English and bits of history and sociology.
I've just started too, I'm not even three months in.
I had to turn in the first 5000 words last week and I'd say it took me pretty much two months to write :$ I'm totally unable to separate the reading from the writing - I do mean totally. I always end up reading so much more once I have started to write, it feels like I can't think very well at all if I don't write...

S

I've been away too - my broadband and phone line went down :-(

I'm another historian so its great to see a thread like this (up) here you go everyone :-) (mince)(gift)(tree) - I do like festive stuff lol lol.

I'm in my second year, just passed my upgrade today so a very happy girl - one of the board said the topic I've written on could 'make my name' - cue huge smile 8-) I suffer badly with a lack of self confidence so the lovely comments I got just made my day and made me so happy!

J

Is anyone doing anything on culture and using hofstede's criteria? my thesis is interdiscplinary across the humanities: business, anthropology, law, economics, sociology all come into play in various parts.

C

Don't know why I came here now. I had a million questions that I wanted to ask others, but I've just forgotten them, and now I'm writing bullsh*t instead tee hee:-)

C

Where's Eska I wonder ?  She's completely disappeared! hmm.... maybe Eska'z hiding under the (tree) eating all the (mince)

N

Quote From stressed:

I'm in my second year, just passed my upgrade today so a very happy girl - one of the board said the topic I've written on could 'make my name'

I've just seen that! Well done
(up)