I applied for a full-time job as a shop assistant today...

L

Hi Piglet,
I'm facing the strange dilemma of being told I'm UNDERqualified for all the jobs I want to do and apparently being OVERqualified for temporary admin or shop work (despite the fact that I did shop work part-time for 5 years during school / uni, and office work every summer holiday). I'm facing going on the dole if I don't find a job soon. People are convinced I will think the job too far 'below' me that I won't do it well - but my attitude is that I'd rather be working than scrounging off the government.

Anyone got any advice on how to convince people?

R

Don't be afraid to leave things out of your CV depending on which jobs you are applying for, while maintaining a certain amount of integrity in your self-presentation.

Did you ever hear the parable about 7 blind men who discover an elephant the first time? One of the blind men who is touching the elephant's foot describes the animal's resemblance to a tree trunk. Another who is touching its trunk describes it as more a snake-like creature. And so on..

If you are at risk of being over-qualified for a temp job or in retail, you don't have to tell them you're doing/completed a PhD. Tell them you are/were a uni student and leave it at that, you get the drift. There are different ways you can describe yourself that will fit the circumstances of your job interview.

P

I cannot leave the whole PhD thing out of an application - how else do I explain what I have been doing for the past 5 years? If I just say "student" and not "PhD student", I think the first thing they ask will be "what have you been studying at uni?". I don't agree with concealing information in an application any more than I do with lying in one.

LittleMe, I sympathise with your situation. I wouldn't want to go on the dole either and I can't anyway because they will look at my partners income. I am not underqualified for the jobs I apply for, but sometimes I know they want someone with more experience in certain areas and I still apply.

S

Don't leave out the PhD - not only do you have gaps in your CV, but if it comes out at interview then you look like a liar. It's too big a part of your life to be able to ignore like that.

I had this problem (currently have to work part-time to finance my PhD). I gave up a very well paid job to work in admin to allow me the time to complete a PhD. I ended up with an admin job at the Uni I study at. At some interviews I was told I was too qualified (and they were concerned about the job I was leaving, which was at a much higher pay grade), but other people were more sympathetic as it was a higher education establishment. They knew this isn't my dream job, but they appreciated my knowledge of HE and having been a student here was a bonus. Why not try your uni temp bank???

B

Hi

I agree with SexKitten - try your uni (and other uni's) temp banks. They won't discriminate against you on the basis of you having a PhD, and will probably understand the predicament you are in (I know lots of people who have completed and had to temp at uni's).

As for finding a 'proper' job - be patient, keep putting in applications, and it will happen! You've got the PhD under your belt (that's the hard part) ... so don't undervalue yourself! Something will come up at some point, it's just having to play the horrible 'waiting game'. It will happen though if you keep positive and proactive.

R

That's "SixKitten", not "SexKitten". Freudian-slip much?

R

My response about preparing your CV to suit the job application was directed at LittleMe. It looks like he/she is in a better position to explain his/her part-time work situation.

piglet - unless you were also working part-time during your PhD and are able to provide a connected timeline, you can't leave out the entire 5 years of your life. But keep in mind, the shop manager wouldn't hire you because he/she knows you'd leave tomorrow if you were offered a PhD-related position. The others are correct that there are employers out there who are more understanding of your current employment needs.

S

I still say mention the PhD - I tried to avoid it when I was looking for PT admin work, but it was a much bigger issue for employers when they felt I was trying to hide it. I was honest - I said I needed the job to pay for my PhD and tried to show them that, although the job was 'beneath me', they were getting someone extremely qualified in return. Show them why you want the job - even if you have to tell a fib - and how the PhD contributes to it. I definately recommend looking in the HE sector. You've shown you've got an interest in HE and a lot of HE managers have a PhD. Look especially in the professional services (strategy, PR, research) as there is more scope for someone with a high level qualification than, say, as a secretary supporting a course (although that work isn't bad either)

R

Applying for casual/PT work while you're doing your PhD is one thing, but applying for work after you've completed the PhD is another. You'd most likely have to explain why you're looking for that kind of work with a PhD already in hand.

P

I did it again today. Another full-time shop assistant position. This one at the local bakery. With a really, really unattractive uniform!

S

Surely there are perks to working in a bakery - think of all the yumnmy things you'll get to take home at the end of the day! (downside - you'll probably get fat)

S

(sorry if I'm not taking your problem seriously - it's just that I quite fancy working in a bakery - I even love the sound of the word - BAKE - mmm)

K

The early mornings would put me off in a bakery. I've always secretly wanted to be a really good waitress at a nice restaurant, I'm alwasy really impressed when I get really good service. But, sadly, i've tried being a waitress and I was rubbish so it's plan B!

R

piglet - haha you don't have to make it sound like you just perpetrated another case of manslaughter.

P

Feel free to joke away, sue! I am fine about working in a bakery - I love bread, toast, muffins, croissants etc. The weight-gain thing is a concern, but haven't even got a callback yet, so no need to stress about the calories just yet. Obviously, not my dream career move, but anything that pays me money and gets me out of the house...within reason.