I can't be bothered to do my PhD.........

W

Quote From eska:

yes, I feel like that sometimes too Sneaks. It's really funny that we have this community, we've got to know eachother over time, and are like frienda and colleagues, but we don't actually know we all are, and we do have this 'other life' with another name.Although I do think it would be possible to spot who I am, if someone really tried, very hard... some stalker type.

I wouldn't mind a stalker, actually. It'd be great for when I need an ego boost.

Hey Wal, we all love you! We would all love to know who you are, but we are doing this annonymous thing, so there we have it...

Here, have an ego boosting sprout: (sprout)

C

I tried my tomatoes once. Set it up and then had a 25 min conversation with my office mate. I didn't quite know how to say I can't chat to you right now I'm trying to earn a tomato!

One day I'll look back on this thread and probably reminisce about how good the PhD days were!

a good way to stop office mates chatting is to wear earphones - don't actually play anything through them, but make a bit fuss of firstly ignoring them when they talk and then going WHAT?? SORRY?? and then dramatically take out the earphones.

T

I know this is an oldish thread now but oh catalinbond, how you've summed up my feelings today. I simply cannot be arsed. I just don't care. I must be the laziest bastard alive. I've tried to be positive, I've tomatoed, I've had nice tea, but I really no longer remember why I'm doing this. Writing the thesis just equals further stress in revisions, defence and career struggles. The idea of hacking away at this seemingly endless document just feels like more than I can face.
I know this phd lark is expected to be an emotional rollercoaster, but I'm motion sick now and I want to get off.

oh teek, are you me today? I've flitted all over the internet, done 2 dog walks, put washing on, tried to sit down and do a few tomatoes. I can't do it! maybe its the weather.

Problem is I find on days like this that at about 4pm I suddenly get 'in the mood' and then I have to go and pick hubby up at 6 which ruins it all and then he wants attention (like a small child) for the rest of the evening.

I feel restless.

T

I know what you mean sneaks, although today I've sunk into such a pit of despair that I don't even think the evening work will happen. I wish I had a dog to walk.

As for my hubby, he's next door also working from home, and from his continual typing and conference calls comes a crushing reminder of my relative inadequacy.

You may be right that there's something going on, a quick glance at facebook sees expletives and misery in the status updates of almost everyone I know - what has happened?

maybe its something to do with pressure - I mean the weather kind, not the deadline kind. I know my cats get all cranky with pressure changes. My hubby is at work so comes home with stories about all the projects he works on to make me feel guilty. I can't trust myself in a shared office because I talk everyone to death so have to stay at home staring at the walls.

The worst thing is that i have loads to do and I think I do this to myself - leave it all to the last minute and then panic and have horrible migrains for a few days and wish I had had longer to do it.

C

The only productive thing I have done this week really has been to order an image from a US library for a publication, and that took all of half an hour to sort out. I'm just tired and can't be bothered. And my new part-time job is tiring because I work evenings and don't get home until late - so wake up late.

I want this thesis to be done but can't bring myself to do it. My thesis has sat still for the past 3 weeks. I should have been close to handing it in now! And the thing is, I almost am. Minor changes to one chapter, about a weeks work on another. And then another week work on general stuff. So ashamed.My supervisors would be so annoyed if they knew I have slacked these past few weeks - I haven't done this before on the thesis. Just too tired now.

I should return to staring at the screen.

(sprout)

C

me too. I've done virtually nothing in the past few weeks, I don't see the point to be honest. I could and should have been done by now, but I have absolutely no motivation to finish this :-(

T

Quote From sneaks:

My hubby is at work so comes home with stories about all the projects he works on to make me feel guilty. I can't trust myself in a shared office because I talk everyone to death so have to stay at home staring at the walls.

I'm the same, it makes me feel like such a useless person and very guilty (especially since I won't have any money if my stipend runs out before I submit). Doesn't help that he just got headhunted for a post that pays several times what I could ever hope to earn! *grumble grumble* I'm very proud of him and grateful that at least one of us can earn properly, but it does rather undermine your sense of worth. I just hope to God that this is phd-specific and that back in the real world I'll find myself once again capable of normal working and ambition. I worry it's all just a massive character flaw.

Chrisrolinski - if you've never been like this before then I woul absolutely cut yourself some slack! At your stage you've every right to be feeling jaded so don't beat yourself up. I'm sure that once upon a time your supervisors did some time-frittering of their own.

Claudia - It may seem painfully hypocritical to cheer you on just now but I'm sure you'll get there (written sincerely, it's only myself I view as incapable :p )

C

But then I view myself as incapable ;-)
I'm sure we'll both get there, I just don't know how yet! :p

E

I'm in my writing up year because I was really unmotivated last year. Now I've only got six months left and I feel like I should be getting MORE motivated - not less. I'm so glad to hear that there are other people who feel like this but I really need some tips for getting out of this funk. I'm sick of sitting at home getting nothing done when my husband and all my friends are working hard, earning money and contributing to society!

T

hey don't worry don't give up, i had the same feelings when i reached the end of my 3rd year. I am still exhausted and not the same person as i was when i started the PhD but i guess it will finish one day ! Try to change the place your working, i used to work from home, i shifted to the uni and now i am back home, this kind of worked a little for me.

T

Quote From Claudia:

But then I view myself as incapable ;-)
I'm sure we'll both get there, I just don't know how yet! :p

Yeh same here, i am in my writing up, i just wish if i could go to sleep and wake up and see my thesis finihsed :p