I didn't get my scholarship :(

W

I don't really post at the moment as I don't feel I have enough experiences or enough happening currently that is valuable to hear. However, after reading your post, Pinkneuron, I know exactly what you're going through as something very similar happened to me. I worked very hard, got high marks, drew up a project and never managed to get funding a couple of years ago. I was really upset, angry and pessimistic for a while. But I got myself together, carried on and have now managed to get a Phd position for this October. I'm sure you'll sort it in the end. All the best

V

Hug from me as well.

C

Just a last post before I am off for a conference. I would like to encourage all the people that feel low because their funding application was rejected - I have a string of those in my CV too! And I am currently fees only.
Of course we all need a bit of good luck in everything we do.
But this is not equal to: I don't get anything because I am unlucky. This removes responsibility and control from us - so that we can feel better about it. The real truth is that we all have a substantial control over our lives and our research. As I pointed out in a previous post, the rejection is not about the person. I don't think any dept/ uni would nominate someone for the sake of it. Probably the research project needs to be further developed, or at the moment, is considered less important then others for whatever reason.

C

So the question is not why am I so unlucky? but What can I do to make it more attractive to the sponsors? (not to myself!) Do you have any access to the application of a successful candidate? That's a good way to start: research your sponsor and previous successful candidates. Then is only matter of time and patience...and keep trying!

J

You're not alone. Everyone takes it a bit personally, even though it most certainly was not a rejection of your abilites or research. (The fact that a professor loves your idea and is putting forward a proposal is validation enough). I've seen eminent professors in their 60s with a lifetime of achievement, still feeling upset when their latest proposal is turned down.

Onwards and upwards.

N

Hey PinkNeuron,

I'd just like to point out that about 1 year ago I was in the same situation as you, and then over the summer someone who had received one of the scholarships rejected it (I think that this was because he received a more substantial grant), so, as I had been nominated as first reserve, I ended up with the scholarship. So, yes, things can still change.

In a more general note I agree with many of the comments posted here. Probably in most fields there are so many outstanding candidates and so few scholarships that sometimes should be like a draw out of a hat... (continues)

N

Plus in general competitions (those who are opened to a number of disciplines) there are subjects which are misunderstood or undervalued. I applied for 2 such scholarships last year, didn't even get to the interview stage (though my qualifications weren't in any respect weaker than those of people who did get into the interview) and the conclusion I got from the feedback received was that the idea of a PhD in music seemed somehow obscure to them, specially when it didn't involve any performance or composition.

S

Hi PinkNeuron! Don't give up hope! You've achieved so much already - I'd say that the determination you obviously have will make you successful! But funding is a toughie - it's nowhere near down to just how good a candidate you are - it's also down to politics (who you know on the deciding panel can unfortunately have an effect especially with government grants like NERC - you supervisor needs to do some smooching), and how you write the proposal (one guy in my department is FANTASTIC - got a great publication rate, and super smart - but didn't know how to market himself, so didn't manage to get postdoc funding even though his project ideas were great and he is pretty much as good as you can get academically)...

S

...another guy in the same department (also a smart cookie but knows how to market himself) wrote a proposal, which in my eyes is pretty unachievable and ambitious, but wrote it with such a positive spin, that he got the funding. I think it's a bit of an art, personally, I've so far put in 3 funding bids for a post-doc project, and got rejected 2 times (still waiting on 3rd attempt). But each time I learn from the reviewers comments, and revise it according to their comments. Hopefully one day we'll get there (before we get completely broke!).

P

Thank you so much everyone, you have helped me with this so very much.
I feel a bit better today, not dwelling on anything negative.
I do have a good, valuable project that I know will take me into post doc. level. If I can get through year 1 and get some results, I am sure it will be easier for years 2 and 3. I am going to put together a focussed proposal today and set about finding funding. I am also working on a website for doing scientific and medical writing (not for cheats!).
It seems like I am definitely not the first or last to have been disappointed, so this is a learning process for me and the sun did shine this morning

J

sorry Pinkneuron. I've been through that twice. i know how you feel. don't worry. it will all work out - eventually.

J

I was emailed this today: apparantly it's a guide to postgrad funding. May not be anything new in there but you never know:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Funding_my_further_study/Prospects_Postgraduate_Funding_Guide_vidcast/p!edcjgfe

J

Hi Pinkneuron, I’m sorry to hear about the scholarship. I’ve not experienced this myself, but have experienced many disappointments in other ways during my PhD and seen the same with many others in my department. And so I just wanted to say that although it is so, so, so frustrating, with persistence things do come right. I think that for most people, doing a PhD is an exercise in tenacity as much as anything else

P

Thanks Juno, this link was great. I am feeling much more positive now. It is a learning curve and I am too stubborn and pig-headed to give up. I am getting wobblies about the whole PhD but if I get some focus, like on funding, I am hoping it will help all round. Thanks again everyone

S

Please note that the British Federation of women graduates funds women in the final year of studying for a PhD. So PinkNeuron, you are not eligible as a new starter, but I'm sure you'll get something and achieve what you want, sooner or later!