i dont know how much more i can take of my supervisor

E

ok some of you may know about her. Yesterday i tried to confront her - she just started shouting saying stuff like - u have to do it this way because i am ur supervisor. i go but its not helping me - she said - but it is helping me & i am very busy so u have to help me. She keeps on saying i am forgetting things - i have forgotten 2 things.The amount of things that she has forgotten are countless.
I just feel like she is controling me too much. I want to quit - i feel like she doesnt trust me, that must mean i am crap - i dont know how much more i can take of her.
Either I change supervisor after my 9month report/literature review (which i am not allowed to start - as she cant keep up with all the work i am doing) or i quit.
My other supervisor (is head of school) is good mates with her. My head of group is her husband. My graduate school advisor is the only way so i will see him after easter.
I wanted to punch her face in yesterday.

Your supervisor is probably right about you, as you have an attitude problem. Give up your studies now so somebody else can have a chance! I hear McDonald's are recruiting at the moment.

E

u know what - ur probably right. theres only so much i can take. The woman is far 2 controling.

G

You can tell its school holidays. You obviously have some insecurity issue to address ginga. Do them somewhere else.

Back to the adults you obviously need some external 'mediation' on this in my opinion. The graduate school advisor is the obvious way. I still think it might be an idea to put your grievances [as they are becoming that] in writing just in case. Have you looked at what the 'handbook' advises in such issue btw? There will no doubt be a procedure to follow.

H

Ginga, I suggest your the one who would be better suited to Mcdonalds than EE. Keep such stupid opinions to yourself especially when someone is so plainly distressed. It's not like she doesn't want to do the work or wont do the work.

EE, I'm glad you tried to resolve it with her, I hope you keep a note of this meeting and what was said, it will be important later on. Just because her PhD is at 10 years and still not complete, doesn't mean she should allow yours to lag. The fact that she can't cope with supervising you simply means she should not be doing it.

Don't give up, I think talking to the graduate person will really help you to find a solution.

big hug!

J

Hmm, tricky. Definitely go see your graduate advisor - I hope he or she is not in the same school as your second supervisor though.

Also, are you research council funded? You may have to consider contacting them. The research council guidelines says that it is the institutions responsibilty to provide clear complaints procedures for students who have a grievance with their supervisors. However, in your situation, you may be able to make the case that the normal university procedures are compromised because of the personal relationships between the staff (i.e. marriage).

E

i saw the graduate advisor. I dont think he believed what i was saying. He basically told me to e-mail her with a list of what i wanted to talk to her about and ask for a specific meeting. I am going to try doing that. I will email him in as well.
this place is full of political crap. I cant take much more.

J

good luck its alaways difficult dealing with supervisors. Let us know how you get on.

E

i am just going to be calm and try not to shout at my supervisor. Blessss

H

You could pay someone to rough her up a little?

I could do with a bit more dosh....maybe me and Mia (or should that be 'Mia and I') could do it together!

S

set jen's so-called tough chicken Fluffy onto her

J

fluffy has got you worried stu?

S

not me, but it may worry EE's supervisor!!! since she is a girl

J

oh, why is a known thing that girls are scared of fluffy hens?

S

girls are scared of everything