I graduated this year with a low 2:1 in Biomedical sciences

H

======= Date Modified 15 53 2009 22:53:26 =======

Hello, I hope you can help me!

I graduated this year with a low 2:1 in Biomedical sciences ( I had a first for my lab project/dissertation). I didn't score too well in my final exams, mostly in the 60s, one module I got a 50% in. I reallly reaalllly realllly want to do a phd. I didn't manage to secure a phd for this year. The advice I received was that I shouldn't do a masters because I already knew I wanted to do a phd. Hence, I dodn't bother applying for a masters. Now I'm stuck applying for phds, I have a crappy job which isn't relevant to what I want to do (not a grad job even).

I feel like I've lost a really important year. I want to be starting a phd this year and I'm not even sure if I'll get a phd for next year.

So my questions are as follows:
1. should i apply for a masters and a phd for next year?
2. what should I be doing NOW to increase my chances of getting onto a phd.
3. Is the masters worth it? Will it increase my chances?

I feel a bit depressed, I was predicted a first in my degree because of how well I did in my previous years. I have glowing references from my tutor and supervisor. I just don't know where to take things from here.

Thanks in advance

Harry

C

Hiya Harry,

Seeing as you're in Biomed sciences, I think you could very well have a chance of securing a PhD even without a masters. A masters would increase your chances though, I assume. If I were you, I wouldn't give up and would keep applying for PhDs - some labs have positions available all year round so you could well find something you want to do at this time of year! However, if you have the funds for a masters you might as well apply for them too - what have you got to lose? Doing a masters will probably increase your chances, increase your lab experience and confidence as well as maybe giving you a better idea of what you want to research for your PhD. Don't worry about this being "an important year" because it probably isn't - I started my PhD straight after undergrad, but plenty of people here didn't.
Anywyays, I think you should just keep applying for PhDs, but applying for some masters prgrammes as a backup probably isn't a bad idea :-) Don't give up! :-)

T

Don't worry Harry_K!

I had exactly the same experience.

Here's my story....
Graduated with a 2:1 in biochem (2004). Got a dreadful job selling insurance over the phone, but wanted a science job (2004-2005). Kept applying for science jobs and got a lab technican job (2005). Lab technician job wasn't so hot so kept applying for Ph.Ds., eeking any relevance possible from the lab tech job on to my C.V. (2006). Started PhD in July 2006. I'm now waiting for the viva and started work as a postdoc last month.

1.) Forget the master's they're a waste of money and purely created to milk foriegn cash cows. (unless someone else is willing to pay for you!)

2.) You should be joining a scientific recruitment agency and getting any sort of (relevant) science job, eg NHS path labs, uni labs tech? But be prepared to move.

3.) You could see if your final year supervisor will take you on as a part funded M.Phil student/technician, then jump onto the Ph.D. off the back of your excellent lab work and general science greatness!

;-)