I hate my PhD

V

Hi I just started a PhD about 6 months ago and I have to say it is nowhere near what I had expected. It started well and things seemed to be moving fast, but for the last 4 month I feel like things have come to a complete halt. My supervisor seems to spend more time travelling the world than supervising, and when they are here they just patronise me and take apart what I have done. They repeatedly gossip about other staff to me and I really can’t take anymore, I hate it! I have totally lost interest in the subject and I struggle to get myself motivated. I only choose the PhD because of funding; I was unable to get an offer for a PhD in the subject that is my passion.
Anyway I am really considering leaving this, I know I have made the wrong decision and I’m just wondering if anyone knows what the possibilities are to apply for other PhD in the subject I like, in the future. Or what it takes to get an Mphil because that seems a really appealing alternative.

Thanks

P

If you're serious about quitting, do it sooner rather than later. Less than one year is acceptable - everyone makes mistakes - any longer and it gets more difficult to justify. I wouldn't bother with the MPhil route as it's another 6 months of work and even then there's no guarantee at the end of that time you will definitely get it. Instead you should focus on trying to get funding for the subject you actually want to study and move on.

S

I did this - took a place because it was offered and funded but then left at the end of the first year (9 mo- not a full 12). I am now doing another funded PhD in a subject of my choice - but many years later. I have met quite a few people who have done this - but I think you would have to be funded by a different funding body next time. That first time was a really miserable experience that haunted me for a long time - but then you find it has happened to a lot of people.

R

i agree that you should leave sooner rather than later. i considered dropping out after six months in my PhD but i waited till my first year review which was a mistake... I could of saved myself a lot of heartache if i had dropped out earlier. if you leave now you will have plenty of time to consider other options: jobs, masters or other PhDs.
believe you me. people will not look down on you because you have dropped out. it is a lot more common than you think for people to drop out. I think the reason I was so afraid of dropping out was because I thought people would look down on me

but nothing could be further from the truth. since I have dropped out, I have been offered another PhD position and places on a few masters courses so its all good

if you are truely unhappy. LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

If the subject is way away from your desired area, then going may be an option. If it is related, then if it started well you may just be in a bit of a slump period? If your supervisor is in demand round the world, then that just has to be lived with, if they are good it is just a fact of life. You could try to make sure they stay on task when you are talking to them - mine goes off on a tangent all the time, but you never know when they will come up with a little snippet which is valuable. I suppose it depends what subject you are doing, if it is science based then I guess they have more control over what you do, but you can still be proactive and get on with stuff when they are not around. If they offer criticism, ask them what you need to do to improve what you have done?

J

If you took the offer thinking at the outset that it was a second best alternative and not something you really wanted to do, - was that the way you thought of it -, then maybe you should have waited for the right opening to appear, because someone else might have really wanted it.

V

Joyce I know there would have been people who really would have loved to get the PhD, but this was the only offer I got at the time, and I obviously didnt think it would turn out like this. I guess hindsight is a wonderfull thing. As for my supervisor been in demand, I kinda thought the point of being a supervisor is to be there to advise and help the student when they need it. Anyway thanks every one for the advice. I think I will try to stick with it for the next few months, but if it doesnt get any better I think I will leave it.
Again thanks for the advice.

J

My supervisor has been AWOL for a few months, but is now back on the scene,it isn't a good time of year for them what with loads of marking etc. at least that is his excuse and I believe him. He is also very active in the area and in demand and trying to get some writing done as well, so I'm just waiting my turn really. What area are you researching? If you need lots of imput from your super, then you need to perhaps be more specific, like 'I'm now looking at X and I would appreciate your help in locating the main sources, I think they are A, B, and C is this the right way to go?' Even if he is abroad, he can answer an e-mail, if he doesn't, tell someone. Of course if its lab based that's not a lot of help, I would try confiding in someone else. It is also in their interest
to get things right. Don't give up
too soon, you have invested in it already, just try to pinpoint why you are not happy, and have a go at sorting it out.

I left a fully-funded, full-time PhD after nine months because I really struggled to get a grip on it. After pouring my heart out to my former supervisors, who were absolutely fantastic, we agreed that I should leave. I ended up submitting an MRes, which I was duly awarded for my hard work in this first year. Now, I am in the second year of another PhD at a different institution, and I love it! My advice to you is see if you can submit an MRes and try another PhD elsewhere. To be unhappy for at least another 2.5 years will be misery for you. Good luck!

L

vilee, I truly understand how frustrating you feel, because I am facing the exactly same problem. I chose a PhD which was not my first preference, due to fundings. What's worse, I am in another country and my supervisor sort of "lied" to me about the subject of the research. The lack of cohesion with people here and the ignorance has been driving me mad.
I have read some of the comments left in the thread and, thank you all, you guys are making another PhD frustration better. I am now looking for new degrees back in UK. Good luck vilee for your PhD/job/MPhil hunt

S

I find myself in the same position as you. I don't know if I'm actually cut out for this life. I thought I was before I started, but now that I'm six months in, I'm starting to feel like this kind of lifestyle doesn't suit me at all! Then again, apparently it's very common for PhD students go through these seasons of doubt, so I don't want to make a snap decision. I'm sure you're feeling the same way too. Maybe we should just let some time pass and see how we feel in a month or so? I don't know what the best solution is!

V

Leave, it sounds like a waste of time.

C

Dont give up! You have to sit down and think where you are going wrong and how you can over come your problems. PhD is a great experience to learn while you earn modest living. I would suggest you try to take out of this PhD as much as you can both in terms of finance and knowledge. Then you can look for another place to do your PhD.