I have completed the application to transfer from mphil to phd but i want to now complete the phd at another university, is it possible?

H

Hi all, I have just submitted my chapter and application to transfer from mphil to phd to my supervisors. I really want to complete my PhD but would like to complete it another university in the same area. It is because I actually have 3 supervisors and to be honest i have never clicked properly with any of them. I am also a self-funded student, who has decided that life is too short to not enjoy the project, and am really keen to go to another university a few miles away. Is this possible, I mean once you have submitted your application to transfer to PhD at your own university, does that affect it? and does it look really bad on you if you do transfer? Thanks a mill for your help!!

R

Holiday,

my advice is do whatever makes you happy. You have your own funding and have passed your transfer exam, in which case you have demonstrated satisfactory progress toward completing your PhD, so your chances sound quite good.

I would recommend discussing this with someone in the department: like a tutor or graduate advisor, then approach your supervisors.

they should be able to offer impartial advice and help you explore all your options, not just the transfer option. You may be able to reconcile your differences with your supervisors. if you can't do this, the department should be able to provide a reference supporting your application to the university you want to go to.

R

Have you contacted a prospective supervisor at the university you want to transfer? you would want to be quite sure that there is a supervisor that can accomodate you at this new univeristy before you start making noises about transfering and also that the department will have no problem approving your application

H

Thanks for your help, I haven't actually passed my transfer exam yet, it is in March, after I present my project to the department. It is then that I would like to move universities (as I think this would be the best time to transfer?). I have a friend at the other university that has said she will approach the relevant person for me, or do you think it should come directly from me? Thanks for your advice about speaking to a tutor, I just worry that news travels quickly in these quarters and I don't want any of my supervisors to find out anything before I have made my decision! Do you think it is wrong to want to move Universities, as I know the other one nearby doesn't have as much prestige but surely if you have a PhD, it doesn't matter where you get it from???

H

Yes, you are making the right decision to transfer. If you don't click with your supervisors in the first year, chances are things will just worsen. I have a college who transfered to another uni as his supervisors were just no good. It really doesn't matter where you complete your PhD, what matters is that you enjoy doing it. Go for it mate.

R

its not wrong to want to change universities and i would absolutely make sure that you pass your transfer exam before informing your supervisors of your decision to leave. they can make your life very difficult between now and your transfer exam if they find out you are going to jump ship.

my ex asshole of a supervisor didnt responded very well when i requested to change project and supervisor.

prestige of univeristy, helps when you are starting out in your academic carreer, but ultimatley your reputation as an academic is built on your publication record. i.e the quality and volume of papers you publish. so its not essential to have done your PhD at a so called prestigeous uni

H

Great, thanks for your help with this!! This forum really is a great idea :)