i have to submit my thesis by sept, or i will fail my phd.

S

ok, so on this background:
- it took me nine years to get my masters degree.
- like you, i was distracted throughout the course of study, mainly by working/earning my living (but never suspended my studies or anything - nobody was checking on progress/attendance anyway).
- at the end, i just wanted to get it over with. so i sat down and wrote that thesis in 4 months, from scratch. it was supposed to take 1-2 years. (i was still working 1day/week for money)
- although at the time i thought it was rubbish - i just wanted to submit it by the deadline rather than waiting another 6 months - i got awarded the best grade.

so it's not exactly the same. but similar in some ways. i think it can be done. it's embarrasing to take so long, and i've been asked to explain that several times (also in job interviews), but i did - explained - and my explanations were always accepted. so you took a long time. but that's the past. now's the race for the deadline. you can do it!

L

Shani you are a star!!! thanks so much for sharing your story with me :)

that makes me feel so much better ! that you wrote your thesis from scratch in 4 months. so i am hoping i can do it in 3 months because i have a foundation for 2 chapters becuase of the papers i wrote.

thank you so much! i so very much appreciate your support. it feels really good to know, i'm not the only one :)

okay, i am going to put it all behind me, and work towards the sept 1st deadline. worst case scenario, if it's end of august, i will just tidy it up and submit it as it is.

thanks again :)

L

Smilodon

thank you for your reply :)

and I am also scrapping a chapter, because there's no time! so glad to know i'm not the only one. it's really helping me clear my mind, talking about it with you all.

L

sjo4

Thanks for your message! :)

it has made me feel much better to learn that you can write 80,000 words in 3 months. you're right, no more life! i have cancelled all my plans, and i am just going to be in hibernation for the next 3 months.

and yes i wont write anymore papers and will stand my ground and wont let my supervisors talk me into it!
thanks again

L

A116

Thanks for your support! and advice

and what you said about that it's in no ones interest for them not to let me submit, has made me feel better, and calmed me down. i was having panic attacks that i couldnt concentrate on writing!

thanks again

L

AmyP

you are so right!!!

i will remember that, not to panic about what might happen. and keep reminding myself of that. thank you for all your advice

L

golfpro

i know they have every right to be annoyed with me, for taking 8 years. i dont blame them at all. that's why i'm going to try my best and get it written and submitted by sept.

L

missspacey

thanks so much for your empathetic understanding, means so much to me!
i really liked what you adviced, about just submitting it, and thinking of the chance of a re-write, that's really helped me. i think that's what i will do. and try not to a perfectionist with my writing and chapters.. and just get it done. thanks!!

L

Rosy

aww thanks so much for making me feel better that really technically this is my 6th year, you're so sweet and encouraging!

yep, i just emailed them, and seeing what they say.

L

Smilodon
Thanks for your message !!

L

Smilodon
i loved what you wrote, wrap this baby up! i will write it on a post it, and stick it on my wall.

yah i had no idea i should have suspended my registration. lots of bad advice.

thanks again!

okay 5 minute break over, back to my writing. i am feeling much better now.. and feel i can concentrate now without panicking. thank you all

J

I don't want to gatecrash the happy hippo celebration, but perhaps you should start cutting timewasting activities. Such as replying to every single person who gave you advice individually. A simple "thank you everybody" has the same effect.

Good luck with your work. It's possible to do it within the time span, but you really need to pull yourself together and not get distracted.

L

lol yah you're right !

okay, back to writing..

no more procrastination.

L

one last message, but i wanted to say thank you for the encouragement that it's possible to do it within the time frame. that's what i really needed to hear, because i kept having panic attacks and was feeling very depressed, but now i feel motivated and ready to go.

i will now write full time and not be distracted.

okay signing off now, and will sign back on at midnight after a full days worth of writing.

bye

S

hey shani,
sounds like we studied in the same system
i'm racing to get my ma degree before i get to london in september - still got to finish my ma-thesis, write one more "small" thesis and pass two oral and one written exam - all that till september... after all these years of studying for the damn degree i REALLY want to get it before i start studying in england!