I know supervisor's are only human but...

P

I had a meeting last week where I specifically said that I couldn't get a piece of work done for today. I basically relented after my sup. said he needed it by today if he was to mark it in time for the first week of term, because he hasn't a printer at home and so can't print it off to mark it (and this is the last day he's in).
Now I completely knew it was unrealistic. I emailed today to tell him that i'd been silly saying I could get it done today and offering to post him a hard copy. To which he responded that he wouldn't be able to mark it for weeks anyway because he's too busy.
This is all factual stuff but the tone made it clear that he wasn't impressed....
He already knows I have mental health issues that mean placing me under additional stress (i.e. by making deadlines too short) are likely to accentuate!
Argh! Just wanted to offload I guess as I'm a touch peeved.

my sup lets me post stuff as she goes off for months to her second home and claims there is no internet (hmmm- really?).

just do loads more work and land it all on his desk when he's back - that will serve him right for not being 'impressed'.

M

An academic with no printer...'nuff said.

P

Mousse is his printer temp out of order or something similar? Bcos unless it is that, I just CAN'T for my life believe a univ prof hasn't a printer!!!!!! Tell me, so how does he do his own admin work, printing for his research, projects, writing, anything at all?!

Does he print it all at school and lug it home? Or does he complete all work and school and only read from the screen at home?

I know that isn't quite the point but I am totally saucer-eyed after hearing an academic who supervises PHDs has no printer.

P

Apparently he has no printer. Full stop. He just prints stuff off at Uni and takes it home..... Hmmmm

L

Quote From pamplemousse:

I had a meeting last week where I specifically said that I couldn't get a piece of work done for today. I basically relented after my sup. said he needed it by today if he was to mark it in time for the first week of term, because he hasn't a printer at home and so can't print it off to mark it (and this is the last day he's in).
Now I completely knew it was unrealistic. I emailed today to tell him that i'd been silly saying I could get it done today and offering to post him a hard copy. To which he responded that he wouldn't be able to mark it for weeks anyway because he's too busy.
This is all factual stuff but the tone made it clear that he wasn't impressed....
He already knows I have mental health issues that mean placing me under additional stress (i.e. by making deadlines too short) are likely to accentuate!
Argh! Just wanted to offload I guess as I'm a touch peeved.

the fact that you offered to post him a hard copy, why is he getting bent out of the shape!! the whole point of the deadline was cause he couldnt print it , if you sent it later. and then he says he wont be able to mark it anyways because he's busy. well then why bother meeting the deadline if he wont be able to read it anyways! sounds like a jerk to me, and he's obviously taking it out on you. what a piece of work!!!

at the end of the day people think of themselves first and last. they think the world revolves around them. we all do it. so dont take it personally. life is too short to be depressed over things like this.

S

Weird!! I'm also baffled by an academic not having a printer - why????? Maybe you should buy him one for £20 and problem solved! Sounds like he has issues and this is nothing to do with you, its him being ridiculous. The most important thing mousse is your health - he obviously wouldn't have time to mark it anyway as even if you post it its not good enough. Do you not have a set of formal agreements written into the code of conduct? i can't remember the exact wording of mine as its in a safe place somewhere, but its something like they agree to mark within a reasonable time - I think 3 weeks is the max - and to provide full and detailed feedback and we agree to attempt to meet deadlines, but if we don't, well, provided we have a good excuse then that's fine - mine got moved several times last time! He felt it better we got it right than 'on time'!

P

Oh this is all very silly.
It looks awfully like he was lying to me telling me he wasn't in Thursday and Friday so needed it by Wednesday to print it off. Uni have an electronic diary of when staff members are around, updated weekly to show movements on a daily basis. And you guessed it, he's down to be in today and tomorrow.
I'm not surprised he was so unreceptive when I suggested I give the administrator a copy on Friday to forward to his home address, he'd have been found out!