I love my PhD :) It is hard, lotsa work, difficult and I love it :)

P

There, I thought I would start with a positive title after not checking in here for a bit, with shell-shock from actually starting my PhD as an 'oldie, non-funded, mother of many and having taken a year out of academics'
I go into uni to do a class in fMRI which is basically nuclear physics as far as I am concerned, I am working on my protocol, I have submitted my ethics form, I am reading who knows how many papers and I am supposed to be testing by January as my supervisor is on research leave for 8 months from then. And, I love it. I may eat my words but I want to encourage everyone feeling daunted, just starting, out your depth,older than most (I am nearly 42!!) etc. etc. Go For It, we can do it :)

C

Hello PinkNeuron! Lovely to hear from you! I was thinking about you just yeasterday. I know what you mean. I couldn't possibly imagine myself without my PhD work. In spite of the up and downs, the dark moments, etc. I am happy to hear that everything is going o.k and that you are already geared up for future research. Your little ones are very lucky indeed!

D

Yay, nice to here from someone else who isn't all doom and gloom - I love my PhD too!

S

Hi PinkNeuron
Also mother of a few, Forty-something and starting PhD...very excited and bewildered etc but....loving every minute of it!

Z

Hello. I'm a frensh student and i 'd like to do my pHD in UK. Could you helpme giving me somes laboratories you know. i obtained my master in biologie(endocrino and neuro).
Thank you for your help.

O

Hello Zazaa!

You're a Frensh student? Where is that on the world map?
Unfortunately I can't give you some laboratories I know, I've just completely run out of them. Expecting a new delivery next week.

Cheers

O

B

Yay! Me too! And I had the worst start imaginable ... wanted out so many times. Keep going & you will get there. The love will come back.

P

Lol, O.stoll!!!
Wasn't sure how to answer that flyball, so decided to leave it!!!

Yes, the children are so proud of me that sometimes, I think it just keeps me going. Whenever I get a wobbly, I just do something different, like shopping at Tesco and then get back on track. good luck all. :)

Z

hello o stoll;
sorry but i wanted to write "french student". i don't speak and write english as well as i would like.

P

zazaa, you may want to post in a separate topic using a different heading as it might not get noticed in this topic. Then, at least anyone who knows will notice it far quicker. Sorry, I can't be of any help

S

onwards and upwards, all phders

B

I love mine too. Just what I wanted and more.

P

I love my PhD too! It's up and down. But when you have the ups, you forget about the downs altogether. It's nice when you get things done! I love it I love it!

P

I love mine too. It's a love in.

A

I'd like to add that I'm really into my PhD too, I'm only a month or two in though - but it's still great!