I'm doing a PhD!

B

Finally! Been trying to get organised for ages, but life/work has always got in the way. Didn't get the funding I applied for :( but have decided to go part time at work. So, no money for a while, but hey, who needs money, right?

Anyone else here in Linguistics? Been lurking here for a while and I've seen a few, but most of you seem to be Science people.

S

good for you, barnaby! i hope you get a good start and enjoy the whole thing. it's exciting, isn't it!

i'm not in linguistics but not in science either

B

Yes, it's very exciting. Bit daunting, but exciting.

What's your subject then?

A

Hiya - Congratulations on getting started on the PhD! I'm in linguistics and I know that funding is scarce, but that's quite the norm in humanities, as far as I know! What aspect of linguistics are you doing?

B

SLA - specifically pronunciation. What about you?

A

SLA too, - the expression of verbal morphology/semantics

B

I need to work on how I describe my topic area. What kind of expression do people have when you tell them what you're studying?

A

That's a good question. I usually start then quickly discover that I wish I hadn't! I too need to discover an efficient way, but I sometimes tell them it's about grammar, which soon stops them asking questions! Ha ha!

K

I'm in linguistics too - doesn't really provide the best social chit chat lines does it!

B

No, I meant yours sounds suitably academic Apostrophe! I need to work at getting mine to be a bit more of a converstaion stoppper! 'The expression of verbal morphology/semantics'? Ace.

B

What's your area Krashty?

A

Ah, I see what you mean. Most non-linguists are confused from the beginning, which is good I supppose, because then the questions stop. As for pronunciation, maybe you could layer it in jargon, along the lines of: acquisitonal prosody or something! Ha ha. Which language(s) are you doing in SLA?

K

How many times have you been asked how many languages you speak??

J

An elderly family friend was once introduced to a distant cousin of mine. When he asked the cousin about himself, the cousin replied "I'm a linguist". "Good for you, lad", the EFF replied. "I'm a Catholic meself".

A

Quite a few times, which must be annoying for those who don't.