"I'm just an average PhD student"

L

So I have been told this by my supervisor. It's left me feeling somewhat depressed (although I know this is the truth) - I have never been told that in so many words.

Also I have a feeling that he is kind of sick of me. My project is dragging on and I think that he would rather just get rid of me, although I haven't really done anything to deserve that. He mentioned that converting to masters by research would finish my project quicker - "not that he is suggesting that". He is generally a nice person and wouldn't really say so in so many words but I just have this bad feeling. I don't want to be a burden to anyone but then again it's PhD or nothing for me. Any advice??

G

Tell him he's 'just an average supervisor', and see how he like's them apples .

L

Oh I will, I know people that he is friends with in the department so I will mention it to them knowing fully that it will get back to him

B

A think its worth breaking down what "Average PhD student" means to you. On one hand, PhD students are supposed to be some of the best graduates out there, so you could see it in the same light as "Average SAS soldier" or "Average Topgun Pilot", which doesnt look so bad.

I suspect your reaction may be symptomatic of something deeper though, a desire to be seen and recognised as "the best" in some way. If this is the case I think you should explore this, as its a fairly surefire way quick route towards guilt, misery and burnout.

Remember, most PhD students (50% if you use a bell curve) will be average. 25% will be below average and 25% above. At least you are not in the bottom quartile.

L

Badhaircut,

You have something there. I just have this strong feeling that I can do better, am capable of more and that my supervisor is underestimating me constantly.

Other PhD students that I know are considered better, only have more industry experience prior to starting PhD, better conections, are more outgoing and pushy. I just don't feel like they are essentially more capable or talented than me but I know that they are perceived as if they are. That is very depressing.

N

"Other PhD students that I know are considered better, only have more industry experience prior to starting PhD, better conections, are more outgoing and pushy. I just don't feel like they are essentially more capable or talented than me but I know that they are perceived as if they are. That is very depressing."

Well it happens all the time and in every aspect of life. Sometimes it is just a matter of marketing oneself better. Sad but true.

S

Hi there. Well on the positive - you're average not bad... but I know that doesn't help that much. I have had the feeling all through my PhD that my supervisor thought I was a waste of space. But finally, now that I'm writing up and giving him results, he's finally perking up and maybe even showing me a bit of curiosity and interest in my results. Maybe I've gone up the scale a bit in his book? So, hang in there, try not to take your supervisors comments to heart, soldier on, and before you know it you'll have results that will spark their interest and prove that you're not so average afterall. No PhD student is to be honest... it is such a hard thing to do, and at the end you've done something that nobody has ever done before, and are expert in that field. Nowhere near average!

S

p.s. not being pushy and shouting about yourself isn't necessarily a bad thing - sometimes being pushy can actually be to your detriment. However, don't hide under a bushal... forget being called average - and go and give a talk in your department or at a conference. Then people will start to sit up and actually notice you

B

Just to note, that your feeling about "not being used at your full potential" is quite common. Most people dont do their best work at the PhD stage (including Einstein, Hawking etc). As a PhD student you are still fairly low in the chain of command, and most supervisors don't want to do the equivalent of "letting junior have the keys to the Porsche". As a result there is a lot of low level grunt work for most of us until you are few years into your post doc.

L

Well in my department there are few students that have had years of experience working in research BEFORE they started doing their PhD. So now they know exactly what they are doing and how. In my case, I'm straight out of college and PhD is a learning process and my project (which is studentship based) reflects that. I just don't like being called "average".

J

Not a nice thing to say - it's the word "just" that seems to me to make all the difference. Just visualise the day when you make a great discovery and can send him the publication, with compliments .

But on the subject of other students...sore point with me at the moment. Certain ones never admit their mistakes, cover up/fudge fishy results, and nick other peoples ideas. And naturally, supervisors think they are wonderful - no mistkes, everything always works, full of ideas....

C

Scary, I got told exactly that when I asked how I was doing. He meant middling, not the best not the worst.

L

When I think about it logicaly, from what I have shown so far, my work IS kind of average. I know that I'm capable of more, but he doesn't know that (yet). I'm just going to work harder and kick ass

L

BTW cc,

When your supervisor said that you are middling did it upset you?

T

Personally I'd be really happy to be told I'm an average PhD student. If you work harder you could do better. Most of the time I feel like Im a less than average PhD student and that I'm going to have to work really hard to produce something thats just average.

Tiggs