I'm on a PhD, but considering an MSc instead: Am I nuts?

G

Dear all. I have been working on my PhD for six months. The research is cool (as cool as research can be I suppose), it's a pleasure to work with the group, my supervisor is excellent and it's a city so there's plenty going on but I'm very unhappy living here and I'm considering leaving. I left a uni which I loved and worked abroad in the Americas for a year and loved it there to. I would love to study in US/Canada but at the time the offer in UK, in terms of research, and money (!) was best here. Now I think I should do an MSc (which I also qualified for last year), rediscover my lost enthusiasm for all things biological and then do a PhD in US/Canada. Am I crazy to quit a PhD for an MSc?? Will I be offered a (very competitive) MSc (that I was offered already last year) after quitting a PhD?? Has anyone else started a PhD and then stopped to do an MSc instead?? Thanks.

B

I dont think you are nuts. A friend started his phd at same time as me and quit to do msc. He didnt have an msc but had years of clinical experience nad felt he was behind on the research skills.
Hope it all works out

Y

Hi, I'm doing a PhD, but I've already got an MPhil and a MSc. If I choose not to continue my PhD, I'd get another MPhil in 10 months.
If you're determined to leave, and there're better options, do what your heart tells you to do. Good luck.

Z

hey gremlin..im just curious if you could let me know what decision you finally made? coz I'm in a similar situation myself, Ive even applied and been admitted to an MSc and considering to quit my 2yrs work of Phd to join it.

V

If the MSc is something where your genuine interest lies, then go for it. Be truthful to yourself rather than leaving yourself in a very uncomfortable straitjacket.

Z

thanks for the reply vagrant_fish. As my current Phd progressed I realised that this subject isnt really my aptitude and I dont enjoy the lab work involved at all. I am interested in a project using more engineering analysis,numerical methods etc. I then realised my current knowledge wont be enough to take up a fresh Phd and hence my application for MSc.

V

zidge, sounds rational. So go for it and be yourself. Good luck to you in the MSc which can lead you to where you want.