I'm sleeping through my PhD!

L

i remember during my bsc final exams, i used to take pro plus to stay up till really late, cramming and revising.

i'm not a coffee drinker. maybe i should start!

B

Definitely seek medical advice about unexpected tiredness in case it is something treatable like thyroid etc. I was originally diagnosed with ME while a full-time PhD student over a decade ago. I couldn't only work/study for a handful of hours a week and couldn't put in the time needed. The funding council wouldn't support part-time study so I had to make the difficult decision to leave. ME turned out to be a misdiagnosis in my case - something neurological going wrong instead - but if it had been something treatable I would have wanted help to be able to continue my PhD. Now I'm a part-time student, can still only put in a handful of hours a week (I sleep for up to 15 hours day after day due to the brain damage: little time left to do anything useful), but somehow am managing to stay ahead of deadlines. I just have to be as productive as possible in my few good hours. Bit of a challenge!

B

thats quite scary- It is a bit of a worry that there might be something else going on I don't know about. Bilbo- How did you finally manage to get a proper diagnosis?

B

Demanded that a hospital consultant investigate things properly since my symptoms had changed (much more like multiple sclerosis than ME). He was sceptical, but ordered a brain scan, and it showed lesions in my brain. Got a proper diagnosis in the end, and started on life-saving treatment. If I'd lived a decade or two earlier I probably wouldn't have lived.