I'm thinking of changing PhD projects and universities

L

So I'm in my second year of part time study. My project here is still very vague and I feel like I have no direction. While I get along well with my supervisor, he is extremly busy and just doesn't have the time I need from him. He only cares about his own career, and my progress as a PhD student in terms of how it will affect his career. I mean, he wants me to complete it but he doesn't care if I do publications/conferences along the way or if I'm going to have any job prospects later on.

There are 5 students in our department and I'm the absolute worst out of them all. They all have at least one publication and/or conference appearance and some have been there shorter than me.

I also feel like most academics don't take me seriously as I'm the only girl in male dominated enviroment and I like to dress up/take care off my looks. So I feel like my proffesional capabilities are underestimated.

L

I'm thinking of emailing other universities and seeing if they have any funded projects available. I'm just not sure if this is the case of "the grass is greener" as in I might have even worse problem with new supervisor/place. Other disadvantage is that I have done some work here and would have to start all over again on some unrelated project.

Any advice please?

M

Try talking to your advisor or postgraduate tutor.
I am in the same situation, even though im in the 1st year of my PhD. It is really frustrating having a supervisor who cares only how to cover his back. There is this super-project that he is working on with another PhD student and me working on "something" that he does not want to put any effort at all! He works in the same office with this PhD student and whenever i have a meeting with him we are all 3 together...knowing that they make so much progress together makes me feel totally worthless...

I want to change university and PhD but i don't know how im gona justify this to others and i don't know how they gona take it...

L

I want to change university and PhD but i don't know how im gona justify this to others and i don't know how they gona take it...

That's the problem. I don't know how I would justify to the other university why I'm leaving this one. My current supervisor would be pissed off etc.

It sucks when I talk to other students and they list their publications/conferences and when I say I have none, they all go awww don't feel bad, it doesn't matter. I feel so worthless.

S

I can see how the situation with your supervisor may be an issue, but the way you feel you are treated and the progress other students have made relative to you won't necessarily change in another university

I would talk to your supervisor about your concerns first

M

I talked to him and he offered to change the project, but whatever happens it is his character to behave like this and this cannot be changed.As long as he works on the super-project and makes publications and travels to conferences everything is ok for him.

L

Mine doesn't have super project or even any other PhD students, but works on papers with other academics all day long and travels to exotic conferences.

I have kind of mentioned this issue already and he made big promises how everything will change but it didn't.

L

Ok, I have emailed another university that has advertised few PhD projects in my area of work. If they end up inviting me for an interview, and if there is a possibility of doing some clearly defined interesting project, what the hell, I'm out of here.

M

Have you mentioned that you are doing a PhD?

L

Yes I have and at what university, just didn't mention the department (hopefully this won't get back to my supervisor somehow), I pretty much said at the moment I'm exploring the options of doing a PhD somewhere else and didn't go into details.

M

I have e-mailed other universities as well and they invited me for an interview but i really don't know how to explain why im giving up my current PhD

L

Oh I know what you mean. If I say what I said here, they will think that I'm a problem student and should have somehow "worked it out" at my current place. So I haven't decided 100% if I should even go to an interview if I get invited.

L

I got a reply to my email and got invited for an interview. But even in the email, I got the dreaded question already. "Just out of curiousity, why do you want to leave your current project/university???" Yes, three question marks. I don't think I'm going to bother. Sigh

T

It's good that you have been given an interview, I don't think you should pass it up on the fact they are questioning your motvies for moving.. If you tell any uni that you are wanting to move uni then they are bound to ask why you want to leave your current PhD.