I need advice - please help!!

H

Hi,
I'm currently looking to apply for a PhD, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I've started looking for possible supervisors, but most PhD's starting next october won't be advertised til january.
But the thing is I've started to have second thoughts (or I'm just confused) based on whats been posted on the forum. It seems most people don't enjoy it, but there must have been some good times.
I do plan on speaking to some PhD students in my department, but I was wondering if you could tell me some of the good things about doing a PhD?
All your advice would be greatly appreciated!

B

- If you are not lab based or don't have to work from an office then the choice of flexibilty of when and where you want to work - which is fine is you are not a 9-5 person
- Reading and learning about a topic of your choice or even if the choice was not entirely your own, finding the elements which do interest you and building on them
- Good opportunities for training
- Your own personal challenge

J

It may seem that most people are not happy, but in reality (or in my case, anyway) people are most likely to post a message when they are worried or unhappy and seek reassurance. We don't often broadcast when things are going well - don't want to tempt fate .

If you want to do a PhD then you should go right ahead.

H

thank you guys!