I need structure!

C

So I'm working on a provisonal structure for my thesis for my next supervision in 2 weeks time.. I'm thinking up areas of interest and the usual chapter title with pithy semi-colon thing, but it seems pretty silly doing that since most of this will be provisional anyway. But that is besides the point: how are other people planning out the structure of their thesis so early on?

C

Hi,

A couple of things that really helped me:

1) My supervisor made me summarise my thesis in five different ways. I wrote five short paragraphs (no more than three sentences long) which all started 'This thesis concerns...' (kind of like a tie-breaker question in a magazine competition. Answers on a postcard please...!)

2) We then spent a supervisory session going through these summaries, separating out distinct issues and things that should go together, until we came up with four or five broad areas.

3) We then put together a rudimentary chapter plan.

The details have dramatically changed since then but having even a rough outline was useful. And somehow having a proper brainstorm with the supe was even kind of fun? I am kind of weird, though.

Also, from your other postings, I think I might be in the same school as you. SAHC? Of course, that now makes me look like a stalker, but I'm not, I swear! Hope things are going well.

C

Yup....SAHC.... what school are you in? * remember SAGE? Have you 'PDP'd yet? Cos' I haven't and need to PDP myself before the next supervision.

I'm not always on this site: I do work sometimes, I promise!

Thankyou for those hints, after I've finished my dinner (watched the obligatory episode of the Simpsons) and read another chapter on my Swedish naturalist (not naturist!) hero (Linnaeus) ...I'll sit down and have a mega brain storm... I'm sure I have some lovely coloured pencils sat around somewhere. Then when I have my supervision I should have a provisional structure to work on with them.

Thanks. Yes, maybe I should post less, and work more. Naughty internet. Naughty me

N

Do you know "Authoring a PhD thesis" by Patrick Dunleavy? Of course it's more useful for people who are already writing up or in advanced stages of their research, but it has a chapter about structuring the thesis in which he names 4 basic structure types (I found it really useful anyway).

C

I'm in History. Don't tell anyone, but I don't even know what the PDP is supposed to look like! My supervisor was, until September, postgrad director and was fairly, erm, relaxed about it. Current postgrad director is on my panel and seemed happy enough with the list of courses attended, papers given, publications etc, that I gave them. I wouldn't get too hung-up about it.

How could one fail to remember SAGE? Dear supe was responsible for that too. Although it is, without doubt, head and shoulders above the old RT programme that I had to do when I did my MA. I still shudder at the very thought of it.

Good luck with the coloured pencils - sounds like a plan!

Do you know about the SAHC forum?

C

Oh the Halycon days of the two week induction SAGE session I went on for my MA days *misty eyed....I think not!*

Thanks for the book tip...I have bought a copy of 'How to Write a Thesis' : there is a whole chapter on structure, and it looks pretty good.

Well, with my belly full, Simpsons fix finished and coloured pencils fully armed I'm off to get 'structurised'(or rhumble...depending on how old school you want to be...)

C

SAHC forum sounds good...but I have already weaned myself off a favourite forum (Swedish news in English) so I can use this one! I'm a one forum man only, baby.

If I get too involved in the SAHC forum, I think I may as well kiss my doctoral career goodbye! ;$

C

I was doing so well reading my chaper on Linnaeus...then I found out he had a pet raccoon called 'Sjupp'...and of course I had to find out what that name means in Swedish...so obviously since I was going online anyway..and I ended up here.

But I'm sure I should be more concerned with the role of Linnean classifcation in eighteenth century natural sciences, rather than the name of his pet raccoon...

I'm glad I make you laugh...but must go and work....NOW!