I've finally got a viva date... it's in 2 weeks eek...

D

If the dog answers, then you KNOW it's time for a break!;-)

S

Just a quick update from me... unfortunately it's not good news. I got a resubmit AND viva with 12 months to do it.

For anyone who's not yet reached this stage, it's worth pointing out that, having read a few viva stories, both positive and not-so-positive ones, mine was definitely a not-so-positive experience where the supposedly 'discussion about my work' turned out to be a grilling. Whilst I'd obviously had anticipated having to defend my work and expected some challenging from them, I also expected a certain level of unbias from the examiners which did not occur. To be fair, one of the examiners was fine, but the other couldn't quite grasp one of my methods, wouldn't accept my reasoning for it and I got a resubmit as a result.

Main learning for others (too late for me): make sure your examiners are nice, that is, if you can. They're there to examine your work, look at what you set out to achieve, your methodology, results and how this informs theory, future research, etc. Obviously they need to look at it critically but they shouldn't impose their own methods/methodology when yours is perfectly reasonable. In summary, ideally, examiners should be nice and fair.

Many have mentioned examiners having their own agendas and unfortunately one of mine is/was one of these individuals. Not a clue of what their agenda is/was but I found out it was their fault it took so long for me to get a date. Apparently it took them 4 months to read my thesis and write the initial report. To be honest, it doesn't matter what their agenda is, all that matters is that I make the changes as recommended so I can pass :)

Will keep you posted. I'm not able to keep up with the forum at the minute but things should be settling down in the next few weeks when I'll finally be able to dive into work once again. In the meantime, take care of yourselves.

D

======= Date Modified 10 Jun 2012 19:27:17 =======
Skig, I'm sincerely sorry to read this. Totally agree the viva system isn't ideal and my viva was a grilling rather than a discussion of my work. It came as a complete shock as it was entirely different to what I'd been told to expect and it was a very negative experience for me. I feel I was LUCKY to have passed with minor corrections but I think it can be a very random process.

You've a fantastic attitude and I know you'll get there - chin up!(up)

K

======= Date Modified 10 Jun 2012 19:37:45 =======
Sorry to hear that Skig- academia unfortunately often seems to be all about other people's views, opinions and agendas and it's rubbish that you have been caught up in that, I really feel for you. My viva was a horrible grilling too (and not at all like I was told to expect) with one very rude/inappropriate examiner and one reasonable one, but luckily they agreed to disagree with me on some points and the overall result didn't suffer (just v minor corrections even though one examiner completely slated some of it). I have known a few people from my old uni who resubmitted, and they all got there in the end, so maybe give yourself a good break and then re-attack it as best you can. Best, KB

A

Skig, I am desperately sorry to hear that, I had wondered how you had gotten on. I hope they give you good instructions re what they want you to do to pass on your resubmit. I can't think of anything else to say to you; I really feel for you.

Put the feet up for a few days to regroup, get your viva report, resubmit and show them that they should have given it to you the first time around.

Hope all else is good with you, pregnancy wise, at the moment.

(gift) Take things easy

S

Thank you all for your kind words.

The reality is that without the changes I won’t get my phd so I might as well do as I’m told!

I won’t get into too much detail as I like my anonymity but suffice to say that, as I currently see it, most of the changes are either unnecessary/incongruent with the thesis/topic or don't add anything to the thesis itself.

I feel my unreasonable examiner wasn’t open to discuss any other ideas unless they agreed with theirs so this is their way of imposing their ideas on my work if that makes sense? I have a comprehensive list of all the amendments required so I should be ok I think. To be honest, I’ve been working on a paper instead so I’ve not had time to sit down and plan for the changes yet.

By the way, I’d love to call these required changes ‘corrections’ but as I don’t feel they add to my work, I just refuse to! I might give in once I get stuck in ;-)

Ady, all is well with me, the pregnancy and bump. In a way, it's nice that I have other things going on in life, it reminds me that although the phd is obviously very important, so are other things in life!

I'm working for the next few weeks (as in paid work) but once I'm done, I'll be here working with a vengeance so I can get it all resubmitted before baby is born. I may not be able to but I'll definitely try!

S

Delta, I tried to pm you but wasn't able to, it keeps asking me to choose a user from the dropdown menu (??) or you may have your pm disabled.... have you got your pm disabled?

D

Hi Skig, Yes, I disabled my PM because I'm very rarely on the forum now and hate to think people are sending me PM's and I'm not responding as has happened.

I'll open my PM again.