I've made a decision - now to tell my supervisors...

N

I had a meeting with my MSc dissertation supervisor last week, he is going to be the lead supervisor for my PhD but I am mainly going to be supervised by two other academics, who I get on well with. I was going to submit my MSc dissertation in early September and start my PhD in October, but I decided with him to submit my dissertation in early December instead, starting my PhD in January. This was decided because I have had a few setbacks this summer - I fractured my ankle and had to do quite a lot of overtime at work as well due to problems with another member of staff. Therefore I didn't have the time I wanted to have for my dissertation - I wanted it to lead on properly to my PhD, therefore I wanted it to be of a really high standard, I spent a long time drafting and re-drafting my PhD proposal and was really pleased with it at the end, I wanted my dissertation to be of the same standard.

The other students on my MSc course are all handing their dissertations in in December as well even though they aren't doing PhDs afterwards, apparently only one student has handed her dissertation in in September before.

Another reason for submitting in December is that my supervisor wants me to try to publish a chapter (8k words) in a new journal, so in a way he is giving me more time so that I can do that in December before I start my PhD. I'm really looking forward to trying this, I've figured that it's better to start my PhD a bit later with a potential publication and a better quality dissertation than nothing.

I'm sure I've made the right decision and I've spoken to the research administrator, who is supportive as well. I was going to tell my other supervisors last week but they were both on leave, so I've decided to email them this week. I'm just scared of doing it, which sounds really pathetic I know. Its just that they've both been so helpful with my proposal and they've said they're really looking forward to working with me, I don't want to annoy them before I've even started. I guess in the grand scheme of things three months isn't long at all, has anyone else had experience of this? Am I worrying for no real reason?

Thanks for reading, Nxx

B

Hi there,

If your lead supervisor approves, must be OK, no? You might be surprised and find that indeed you have been worrying without reason. I don't have direct experience of this exactly, but I have a lot of sympathy having been delayed this year (my first PhD year) by a broken arm (still not mended properly). Your potential publication has to be a plus point as well.

Could I ask you how your injury was regarded by your department? I had no let up at all until a major meeting attended by the disability office seemed to help, but since then nothing has changed. Perhaps we can swap advice?

A

======= Date Modified 25 Aug 2010 17:08:11 =======
I think it should be fine Natassia, I don't see why they should be annoyed about it at all. It would be different if you were deferring for a year, but given that your supervisors already seem to get on with you quite well and they seem like reasonable people they should be fine with it. Plus it's better to start with a good MSc thesis and paper in the pipeline, it will help you in your project if they one is leading onto the other.

However I know it can be a bit scary having to change plans so I understand your apprehension. But you'll be grand!!

Incidentally, I broke my wrist during my second year, just before starting my field work, and there wasn't much given the way of leeway...to follow university regulations I wasn't allowed to go near the water (I work on lakes) and someone had to come along to help, but all the lab work had to be done by me anyway. Turns out it is possible to do water chemistry and mass spec with only one hand!

B

And you're self-funding aren't you Natassia? In which case it shouldn't really matter when you start. If you were funded it might be a bit different with more hoops to jump through.

Good luck!

N

Thank you for the replies, I'll email them tonight when I get back from the stables. There isn't really anything they can say as my lead supervisor has approved it, and I am self-funding so that isn't a problem. All the administrative side is taken care of as well so I'm not creating any extra work for them.

Buzzy - I didn't actually tell my supervisor about my injury until I was able to drive etc again, I was working from home at the time on my dissertation as term had finished and so I wasn't missing any taught sessions. But when I saw him I told him and he was sympathetic, my ankle is still suite swollen so I have something to show for it! Also I think he was quite disturbed by how I did it, I was knocked over and trampled on by a horse so most non-horsy people are surprised I didn't come off worse! I'm sorry you had a harder time with your injury.

Nx

P

Hi Natassia,

I just wanted to reiterate what the others are saying, in that I don't think you should worry about this - if you're lead supervisor is so encouraging and supportive, hopefuly everything else should follow! I wish you the best of luck finishing your dissertation/ journal submission..

I also wanted to thank you as you're post inspired me to finally ask for an extension (for a similar reason to yourself - see my Venting Stress thread). I just realised from reading your post that I was worrying needlessly too. Why do we always make decisions like this hard on ourselves? There's nothing wrong with trying to organise our lives to work a little better for us, is there!

ANyway - thanks for the insight xx

B

Natassia I hope this thread has given you the confidence to do what you know you want to do. Thanks for the kind words re injury. As a former horsey- person I know only too well what happens! Mine was not through anything exciting though, just bad luck.
Best of luck with it all
Buzz

N

Just letting you know that I emailed my supervisor and he was fine about it, completely supported my decision and said that he was happy to look over the chapter before I submit it, even though he isn't supervising me with my dissertation. So I was worrying for no real reason.

How are you doing now Prettypolicy?

Did you have a horse before you started your PhD Buzzy? I'm a bit nervous of juggling my full time PhD, part time job, and horse on DIY livery but hopefully I'll manage when the time comes, looking into getting a sharer for him as well.

Nxx