Ibid/op cit yeah or neigh?

D

My supervisors raised a query about if I should use ibid/op cit in my thesis...they don't know so I e-mailed the post grad convenor who a week later still has not got back to me. I have trawled the uni documents on writing styles etc but nothing...even went through the librarys help booklets. I am in the social sciences...whats the general thoughts on this at your uni's????

C

Hi dazednconfused,
I had the same problem. I tended to put Ibid. and op. cit. everywhere and my supervisor didn't like it. The options were either to rewrite the author's name, year and page number every time [e.g. Barth,(1986),18] or write: Barth as in note 46. I tend to use the first option, but it took some time to get used to it!
I hope it is of some help.

S

Hiya, I am also in te social sciences - I used to use ibid. in my undergrad and MSc work, but since writing for my thesis, my supervisor has told me this isn't appropriate so I've had to as Corinne has said, rewrite the name/date/page etc each time. A pain but then I want to do what my supervisor has told me is right.