If you cannot meet your thesis hand-in deadline can you sue for your right of Submission?

F

I have been doing a computer science phd for nearly six years full time, and my phd didn't properly start until after three years, well into extension time. The reason is because my supervisor initally told me to do experiments for which i could find no scientific basis or motive, thus wasting my first two years. Worse,arguably neither he, my second supervisor, nor my school of computing had any relevant expertise, publication or teaching experience in the general field of my phd.

The upshot is my phd didn't start until after three years. Now i am in a good position to finish but I will submit at least three months after my 'last ever extension deadline' and feel both angry and nervous about this. I don't trust my supervisor at all, he has a terrible reputation because of putting previous students in similar situations and has decieved me throughout the process.

If the university turns around and says they won't accept my finished thesis when it is handed in three months late, can I legally challenge them? or should i see a solicitor now, three months before my deadline expires but risk upsetting everyone, including my only supervisor?

L

i am in a very similar situation as you!

i was given a letter by my uni to tell me to submit by sept 30th, or i will fail by default.

if i dont submit a thesis, they will terminate my student registration and i fail by default.

legally, a phd student is given 8 years to submit.

my 8th year is up exactly sept 30th.

my first year was discounted, i had to start again in my 2nd year, then the next 3-4 years were wasted on another crappy project, i only really started my phd, in 2005.

L

i wrote a confidential report, to the university, student representative, and to the postgraduate tutor, telling them all of this history. and asked them for an extention. they gave me a month extention, but that is all. (initially they told me to submit by 1st sept).

im not sure about suing, but i know in regulations, you have 8 years.

so since its only been 6 years, they cant terminate your registration, legally.

my uncle had a similar situation with his son, and he read all the university regulations. his son was actually terminated! it was a long case.

my advice, deal with this NOW. not afterwards. contact as many people as you think , contact welfare advisor, student union representative etc etc

L

here is some information my uncle had found out for me, during his case against the university for his son.

"8 years are the maximum allowed for PhD (without the 2 years declared interruptions) in the UK Regulation starting 2000-01

suggest you prepare a Brief on the events and activities by year and right up-to-date over the past eight years. This brief should be no more than 1 A-4 page summary highlighting with key words how you kept yourself busy and whether and what were the “interruptions” which obviously prolonged your ‘period of study’.

You will find that your Brief will clear your thoughts, present options and also guide your actions. It will also help you deal suitably with your UNI particularly for a reasonable extension in time for thesis submission relying on the interruptions which your summary will bring forth.

L

In the light of your Brief, we can persuade your supervisor to agree a suitable extension. He can then explain the circumstances to your UNI to waive termination. This will all be in order and within the scope of the Regulations. [Please just make 100% sure that the max 2-year extension on account of the interruptions is in addition to the 8-year period of study allowed for part-time students. This is critical, repeat critical]

Take ‘termination of Registration’ out of your mind. It is a matter of standard practice that you first go to your supervisor for any problem. He has to be helpful. All Rules and Regulations are meant essentially for the benefit of students, to safeguard their interest."

L

8 years maximum is for full time student aswell. check your uni regulations hand book. contact the student representative and welfare advisor. tell them you need 3 more months.

its a rare graduate school that will be that beaurocratic! i cant spell the word lol

P

Hey - Computer Science PhD here too... Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble. I'd say you would have a hard time getting an extension because surely the Uni could counter with 'Why wait until now to bring it to our attention?' and could surely point out that a lot of experiments fail and that's the whole PhD process? How far are you into writing up? what's your area? are you 100% sure that *nothing* you did in the first 2-3 years is relevant?

E

Hi Lara,

I finished my PhD a few years ago when the maximum registration period was eight years, but at my university the rules have changed and the maximum registration period for part time and ex full time students who have converted to part time is now six years. At my university an additional maximum of one year is allowed for suspension due to illness over the duration of the registration.

I recommend that everyone checks the rules and regulations for their own university, in force at the time of their own registration. The rules on completion are becoming increasingly strict.

J

Hi sorry to hear you've had such a hard time. Im really impressed that you've stuck with it and not given up.

Could you intermit for a period of time offically but actually keep working at home thereby extending your time left? Intermitting isn't something I would normally suggest unless you actually have a medical reason but if its that or fail maybe its a loophole you could think about.

Hope you manage to sort something out!!!

B

The rules do vary by university. At my university the maximum time allowed for part-timers is 6 years too; less for full-timers.

F

hi, and thanks for all the replies, especially Lara.

Its a tragedy if anyone is discontinued against their will after so long.

I cannot understand how a department can allow a project to continue
beyond say, two years before deciding to discontinue it, unless the student has become demotivated, his contribution is in doubt, is broke, or is ill. To me it can only smack of supervisory negligence.

There becomes two options. Transfer to a new uni for a minimum of two more years costing a few thousand more per year. Or hire an Educational Law solicitor to litigate the uni on assumption they have failed their contractual obligation in terms of either negligence or failure in academic duty of care,or incompetence. How easy is this to prove?? my supervisor was forever asking my signature on supervision forms to justify his awful supervision...

L

yeh negligence in your supervisor has definately played a part! do not feel this is your fault.

have you had a chance to speak to the welfare advisor/counseller at your university or student representative? i would suggest that be your first step, before you bring in the big guns so to speak. or how about contacting the postgraduate tutor, that is actually in charge of cancelling your registration.

when i was faced with such a deadline. i contacted all of the above. and explained the situation to them. try that first, if that doesnt work, then seek legal advice. a university will not want to get a "bad" reputation about them failing a phd student. so they will avoid anything legal.

good luck!

L

and you're very welcome. i understand how you must be feeling. please let me know if i can be of any help.

L

maybe contact John Wakeford who is head of the Missenden Centre for the Development of Higher Education

email [email protected] or [email protected]

he has written EXCELLENT articles for the guardian about phd problems, poor supervision etc.

apparently he provides "Confidential advice to doctoral students"

his website is:

http://www.missendencentre.co.uk/johnw.htm

i havent personally contacted him, but someone who wrote an article about phds gave me his name.

i highly recommend all his articles in the guardian. very well written and researched and highly indicative of the current situation most of us have found ourselves in!

L

some of his articles:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/postgraduate/story/0,12848,1169926,00.html

"The missing links
Too many postgraduate students suffer from inadequate support and end up failing. John Wakeford has investigated a number of complaints about shoddy supervision. Here he details some of the worst cases "
-------
"Nowhere to turn:
Cross swords with your supervisor and you can find yourself alone, rejected, without support or referees."

http://education.guardian.co.uk/egweekly/story/0,5500,557465,00.html