In 3rd year and want to quit!!

L

Is anyone in similar position? Any advice?

I'm in 3rd year. Funding runs out in 6months. Experiments are all going wrong. Run out of time to do what I originally intended. Don't have valid reason for doing what I have done (ie research is meant to fill gap in literature - all i've done is preparatory stuff and nothing that is really new.) Hate PhD.

The stuff I have done I haven't done well. I am using techniques that others in my lab use, but I just can't get them right, so my data is useless.

My experimental work took wrong turns - mainly due to my lack of experience and lack of supervision. my supervisor has had 2 x 6months of maternity leave!!

My supervisory committee's suggests try writing up and submitting and see what happens - a bit of a longshot and alot of work. I don't even know where to begin my thesis and spend so long doing experiments each day I don't have a life, let alone time for reading or writing.

I am getting really depressed, lost touch with friends/family. I dread every morning.

V

Sorry to hear about your troubles, sound like a very depressing situation. Do you have anybody who understands what you are doing in your PhD with whom you could discuss your situation in less formal atmosphere?
And talk to your relatives and/or friends or professional (maybe you have counselling service in your university) about how you feel, you need lots of support but to get it one needs to ask.
hope you will be better soon.

K

Really feel for u, LittleMe. Friends and family are really important at times like this, so make a real effort to get back in touch with them and use them as a sounding board for a bit. Their support will help cheer your spirits and give you a bit more energy to get to succeed. Draw up an action plan of how to sort this out and go for it. It is really hard when you are depressed to just get out of bed every day, but set yourself achievable targets and with the support of your family and friends, you'll get through this horrible time. Big hug coming from me to start you off!

W

Don't quit!! I often feel like doing so, and tell my boyfriend I might, but the thing that stops me is thinking how much I would regret it in years to come...and how much effort I have already put into this

L

Thank you to everyone that has replied. I really appreciate it. It helps to know I'm not the only one struggling. The other PhD students in my department are all doing really well and they don't really understand.

I've gotten in touch with a uni councillor, who can't fix my Phd but hopefully will help me keep perspective. The first thing she convinced me to do was to take this weekend off and actually (surprising to me) that helped. I left the city and went and stayed with a friend I haven't spoken to in months and just chilled for a bit. I feel guilty that I didn't work over the weekend - but a bit more positive about life for once.

LittleMe