In a rut

J

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else is in my situation... basically I feel like I'm in a rut. I'm hoping to submit in about 5 months time and am fully aware of what I need to do in that time, but just really have absolutely no motivation to get it done. I find myself procrastinating constantly... doing anything just to avoid writing.... in fact I'm procrastinating by just writing this...

Any words of wisdom on how to get my groove back, and get on with this thesis? Or am I doomed to spend my life making origami swans and spying on facebook?! :p

Write a list of things to do and give yourself deadlines to get them done. Block facebook with parental settings!

P

Hi Jinkim65. I am in a similar situation - hoping to submit in 5 months time. I do procrastinate a bit at the moment, but I also feel I am making progress. Every day I remind myself that I do want to submit in 5 months, so every day counts. I have met lots of people before me who said they would submit in x months, but then did not put the time/work in and ended up submitting in x+x months time - so, I think it kind of depends on how serious you are with submitting in 5 months time and not any time later. Focus on the end, and meeting that target, and make a plan everyday what you will achieve and stick to it. 5 months is short enough to plan out every week, so I would recommend doing that. Good luck.

You do realise that you've come to the centre of the universe for procrastinating PhD students here on this forum, so we' may not be the best people to advise you. In fact, I'm procrastinating right now.

The accountability thread is good, try that.

J

Thanks guys.

I've made a bunch of to-do lists and my supervisor and I have planned out exactly what I need to do, and by when. I think thais might be part of the problem though. I'm pretty good at getting stuff done quickly and so find I have time to procrastinate. I think I just need to be stricter with myself.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one procrastinating though...

P

Ahh - but Jinkim65, if you get everything done on time (because you are super quick), you have "earned" yourself the procrastination time:-)

L

I know how you feel Jinkim65, Im submitting in a matter of weeks, not months, still have alot to do but procrastinating on here. However, in the past few months I have managed to get a reasonable amount of work done. Instead of looking at the whole picture I did little parts at a time so as to not get overwhelmed by the amount i had to do. Set yourself a goal, for example, "in an hour i'll have such and such done", then you'll find yourself getting into your work and you wont want to stop. You're almost there!!
Good Luck!

:-)