In a serious pickle!

W

Hiya all, it's been some time since I last posted. I'm now working, for a private consultancy and it's going okay. I travel a lot of miles in the day, but the job has a lot of perks and it's a nice company to work for. However, I've still not got the corrections for my thesis done. This is not through want of trying, rather my internal examiner is being extremely awkward. Due to her, I won't get my corrections done on time to graduate this year and I only have one month left to get it done by the official time frame.
She only wants the corrections one little lot at the time, but she hasn't gotten back to me in over a month. I got in touch with her to see what was happening and st she tersely said that she's busy in her professional and personal life and I will have to be patient. At this rate I stand no chance of getting my corrections done for the official time frame and I'm at a bit of a loss. What can I do? What rights do I have? It's upsetting because I don't know which way to turn, who to get advice from or what she's obliged to do? Personally, I feel that she should not have agreed to be my internal if she was unable to provide feedback in a timely manner. As far as I understand it, the corrections were signed over to her by the external (who was really happy with my thesis), so she pulls all the strings and I'm at her (lack of) mercy. :-(

B

Does missing graduation this year really matter that much? Once your corrections are signed off and you get the official letter from Senate or Registry or whoever you will be Dr Wally, and graduation the next year would just be a formality.

Of course this doesn't excuse your internal examiner being a pain the wotsit. But I don't think personally that graduation is that crucial a date to hit. What counts is when your corrections are finally signed off, and then - and most importantly - when the Senate/whatever formally approves you.

B

Ah just read that you will run out of time in your permitted time frame. That's more serious. I would recommend that you contact your supervisor for advice on this one.

D

Definitely contact your supervisor - all the best.

Great news about the job, by the way!

D

To add, keep all your emails in relation to this (especially to and from the internal) as it will prove you've attempted to follow through as best you can.

C

Hi Walmins... I hope that your internal is not deliberately trying to slow down your completion, but I know a few people, including my former sup, who would do that no problem, to suit their own agenda.

I would definitely speak to your supervisor if I were you, but I would also speak to a senior PGs officer at Registry and discuss the possible implications of this, and what are the alternatives.

If there are health issues she will be able to provide a medical certificate. I think that all the rest is fresh air. I really feel for you. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of people like this until graduation.

B

Hi

Is there someone responsible for PhD studets in your dept or school? That person might be a good person to ask how best to proceed. Incidentally, I'd be careful how you phrase your problem with the internal. I know someone who rushed in feet first in a similar situation and accused the internal of laziness, contempt for students etc - it turned out her husband had been diagnosed with terminal cancer a month earlier. To say he felt awful when he was told this was the understatement of the century.