In search of a PhD, so many questions..

R

Hi all,
I am keen to start a PhD in 2011 but know little of the procedure for securing place. I really need some advice!

The first problem is I am looking to do a PhD in Psychology but I don't have much of an academic history of studying Psychology. I have a BSc in Environmental Bio (with psychology as a minor) and a MSc in Energy and Environmental studies. I became interested in the psychological elements of environmental protection during my masters. Does it matter that I only have limited previous experience of psychology?

Next question, is the formation of a PhD question a collaborative thing between student and supervisor, or should i fully decide on what i wish to investigate before approaching a supervisor?

What is the application procedure? Should i apply for funding from the ESRC and then apply to a university or visa versa? what time of year should applications be made?

On what criteria does the university decide to accept or decline an application? is it based on the academic record of the student or their proposal?

Finally, (for now!) does anyone know anything about the new route PhD? It looks very interesting but the fees are very high, does anyone know whether funding is available? Is it harder to get for the new route PhD?

Any help would be extremely valuable to me, I feel ever so lost.

M

Hiya,

Typically in psychology, you would work on some ideas for the PhD, then contact supervisor(s) who are interested in that area. Together you can negotiate a more specific topic and look at funding options. You can't apply for funding directly from the ESRC on your own, it needs to be done via an institution. If the uni has Quota funding, then they can decide to award you that; they can also submit a limited number of candiates into the ESRC Open competition. There are potentially other sources of funding as well, like charities, internal funds in the department, grant funding for your supervisor etc. That's why it's a good idea to get in touch fairly early with a supervisor to discuss what the situation is in their department. It wouldn't be too early to do it now for a PhD starting in October 2011.

The criteria for acceptance vary from place to place. For instance, my department don't accept self-funding students. In general, funding is the main barrier and it's incredibly competitive in Psychology. Given that your first degree isn't in Psychology, you would likely have to do an MSc in research methods, either as part of a 1+3 award if you get funded - or you would have to self-fund the masters then try again for a +3 award. I would recommend applying to several places, it really is that competitive - in my department this year, the top ten applicants all had a First, a Distinction, strong references and research experience. Only three managed to get funding.

Strong academic references are really important as well. The best way to do it is to ask whoever is in charge of PG admissions what things your referee should write about, and help your referee out by giving specific examples for them to write about. An important part would be to show that the skills you obtained in your first two degrees are relevant for a psychology PhD e.g. experience in data analysis.

I don't know anything about new route PhDs, sorry. Best of luck. :-)

M

======= Date Modified 22 Sep 2010 02:06:34 =======
In our dept the only candidates that got funding had First Class honours and an MSc in Research Methods with Distinction. The other candidates with just Firsts were required to either self fund their PhDs or do an MSc and reapply for a funded place. It's very competitive especially as faculty and school scholarships are shared (in this uni) between Psych and Biomed Sciences so you could be competing with the best of the best from two huge schools. Having said that it's not impossible to get a place. I am fully funded and I have a 2:1 at undergrad but also a distinction at Masters plus some research and clinical experience which helped my application.

The advice given by Melsie is very thorough and will stand you in good stead. Get going early with your applications and very best of luck!

R

Thanks guys, that's really helpful! I got a 2:1 in my BSc and a distinction in my masters, if that helps. Also, my masters thesis was pretty strong (76%) and on a psychology-type subject, but i don't have any research experience outside academia. What would anyone say my odds were of finding funding?

K

Hey Rahrahrah! I'm just going into my third year in psychology, and it is indeed very competitive to get funding. I think you will struggle to get funding for a PhD in psychology without at least a relevant MSc, preferably at distinction level. I am in a really large department and there are people here with 2.1s at BSc psychology and distinction at psychology MSc, but nothing less, and most people have firsts at BSc. You would probably also have more chance if you took on a research assistant post in psychology first. That might be tough, but not as tough- there are a few in our dept who are doing RA positions where psych wasn't their undergrad degree. Also if you are working as an RA sometimes that can lead to opportunities for funded PhDs. Usually you need to have an idea of what you want to do, then find a suitable supervisor and work together to sort out the finer details and to apply for funding. The ESRC is one anvennue but some departments have their own scholarships and there are sometimes other random scholarships you can apply to. I'm not sure what you mean by the new-route PhD? Can you tell us a bit about it so we know what you mean please?! Best, KB

R

Ahh i see, so the odds aren't great. Damn. I will look in to the 1+3 award though.

Keenbeen, from what i can gather, the new route Phd is a four year course which includes a normal Phd but has additional taught elements covering all aspects of the academic world (peer review, communications skills, research dissemination etc.). It seems to be offered at just a handful of universities and the fees are very high. Is anyone out there doing a NRPhD?