Informal enquiries and CV applications for PhD Studentships

M

I've found a studentship I'm interested in. The advert displays a contact name and email address for informal enquiries but for applications the advert asks for a CV to be mailed through the post.

I'd really like to apply but have a question or two I hope someone can help me with.

Is it necessary or would it be better if I make an informal enquiry before posting a CV?

I have a BSc, MSc and five years industrial experience, what would be the best way to present my achievements and skills in a CV for a PhD Studentship? I'm assuming the CV would be different from one written for a job application?

J

A good question and one that I often wondered about when I was applying.

Whilst I think that making an informal inquiry could be extremely helpful, both in terms of showing that you are keen and answering any queries you might have, I don't personally think that you should do it just for the sake of it. In other words, if you can't think of any genuine questions then don't.

Thinking back I made inquiries with some but not all, indeed with the one I actually got I don't believe I made any contact before sending my CV with a covering letter and a few polite questions so I don't think it is a must.

M

Thanks.

It turns out I did have some questions to ask after all

Does anyone have any advice regarding CV applications for a PhD?

I've typed plenty for jobs but these were written to focus on work experience.

I'm wondering if a CV written for a PhD Studentship should focus more on the academic side of things?

P

Hiya. Ok, I'm just about to finish my first year of an advertised funded PhD. From what I remember, I had to change my CV to place more emphasis on academic achievements, publications, heavily on research experience, presentations. When it got to the interview stage, my questions were mainly on my academic abilities and my research experience. So my advice would be to really work on those sections! Also, what helped me loads, was to really study the advert. I spent quite a bit of time researching the area around the PhD and tried to map my experience onto the PhD area. It really helped! I hope this helped with your prep.:)

P

Also, I did not write an informal email or anything, but I'm sure it wouldn't harm your application at all; it would just show that your keen I guess :D

M

Thanks again

The department running the advert is looking for ‘highly motivated graduates’ to apply.

If this were a job vacancy I'd see this as a generic phrase HR tend to roll out when a company is looking for a new employee; though I would try to give examples of being highly motivated if I applied for such a position.

I've got the 'How to get a PhD' book and there are some points regarding differences (from one supervisor to another) in what is expected from a PhD student.

So...

Does the phrase ‘highly motivated graduates’ suggest they're looking for applicants capable of independent research and autonomous action within the goals laid out by the studentship or…

Am I reading too much, into what the advertisement is asking for?