Intelligent Questions

K

I will be entering my final year of an MSci in Physics. I am pretty sure I that I would like to do a PhD. I was wondering if anyone who is doing or applying for a PhD could suggest questions worth asking research groups and supervisors which highlight important issues for a PhD student? Basically I would like to know what a current PhD student would liked to have known before starting their PhD. Many thanks!

S

I'm generally crap at these sorts of things, but I did have one handy one that I remember asking. What is the department's, and your potential supervisor's, past record with PhD students? Have many dropped out/transferred to other people?

Also, maybe ask about how long people have been taking to complete.

Hi Kish

Take a look at the How to Choose a Research Project section in the PhDs Explained & FAQs article on FindAPhD. Try and get a chance to speak to some current PhD students in the research group.

Quote From Kish:

I will be entering my final year of an MSci in Physics. I am pretty sure I that I would like to do a PhD. I was wondering if anyone who is doing or applying for a PhD could suggest questions worth asking research groups and supervisors which highlight important issues for a PhD student? Basically I would like to know what a current PhD student would liked to have known before starting their PhD. Many thanks!

My own take on this:

http://www.wearthesis.talktalk.net