International PhD student thinking of quitting

P

Hi all,
This is the first time I came across this forum. I hope that you could take some time to give me some advice if possible.

I am a 3 year international student in the English program from Asia. I feel so overwhelmed and now I really question whether I would be able to make it. I feel very depressed and because I couldn't understand many of the work I read, I start to feel desperate and seriously thinking about quitting. I am not sure whether I should try to continue when I don't have that much motivation left any more.

I would appreciate any advice...Thank you very much.

C

Hi there

I'm new to this forum as well, and like you, I'm doing a PhD in Humanities. I'm also an Asian student : )

Regarding this problem, I can tell you that you are not the only one who feels lost and overwhelmed with the work that needs to be done. I feel like that all the time. I also have a family to care for ; my husband and my two kids are here. So many times I have felt like quitting and going back home. But I'm also trying to persevere. I have a scholarship to honour and I intend to do my best with it.

Could you get help with the sources that you don't understand, maybe try to get a fellow post grad to explain the things to you ? I'm sure there will be someone who is willing to help you with your work. I am not perfect either; I got back from a meeting with my Sup on Monday with a piece of work with lots of scribblings on it ! I feel quite daunted but I am determined to rework on my piece and hand it in in a week's time with more improvement. I'm sure you can do that too.

All the best !

L

Hello

As an international student I understand the difficulties of studying abroad- the depression, overwhelmed, self-doubt, loneliness (if you come alone to the country), new environment, different climate, eagerness to finish and return (if you are like me), homesick etc. In my case, I don't even know how to speak and read the local language. I can only recognize few alphabets and understand some basic words. I can't blame anyone else for this, I should have worked harder to learn.
In my personal opinion, do not quit. You have reached 3rd year, which an achievement in itself. Maybe there is only a little more work left to be done. Besides, we have travelled so far to get PhD, if possible, of course we don't want to return home with empty hands. If you look at my previous post one month ago, I was also considering quitting and my motivation level was zero. May be you are feeling burnt out right now. Don't think too much for the time being-try to get some rest, go for a holiday for a few days, leave your house, leave all your works behind and hopefully you'll return fresh and gain a new perspective.
Regarding not understanding many of the work you read, have you tried to email the authors for clarification? How about asking your supervisors, other lecturers, postgraduate students, other students in the lab or your friends, even those in your home country? Sometimes, when we ask or discuss about the problem with others and even if they can't answer, it will simulate our brain into thinking about the solution. When you say you are in the English program, do you mean your research area is in English or does it mean that your research area is not English but your study is conducted in English? (Sorry my native language is not English). In my case, I am in engineering. I always don't understand what I read too. In some cases, more explanation can be found in the other or older version of that paper, and in other papers which referred that particular paper. Sometimes I just try to start deriving my own equations based on my understanding and while in the process then only I understand what the authors are trying to say, why some terms are necessary etc. I also find that posting questions in the subject's forums helps too.
In my case, counseling helps a lot with my depression and anxiety. Perhaps you can benefit from the service in your university too.

You still have time, this is not the end yet, you will be able to make it!
Feel free to PM me if you want to talk and rant over.

M

======= Date Modified 22 Feb 2012 23:07:54 =======
Hi,

I totally understand your feeling as I'm also an Asian student! I'm into my 2nd year and as the research gets more real and expectation becomes bigger, I have come to feel less and less confident. I have thought that it's mainly because of my speed of reading, writing and also thinking, and not of my ability to do a PhD itself, but these days I feel like I'm totally not up to the PhD standard. Luckily my supervisor is very fair but seems not interested in my work and also in doubt of my ability.

I can't really give you a good advice as I am actually in a similar situation as you are. But I just wanted to say that you are not the only one. Also I'm just trying to give 150% of what I can. There are international students who have completed their PhD successfully. It's not impossible. I want to try all my strength before I accept my defeat! This is how I motivate myself these days. If I'm failing, I want to fail after giving everything I have. Otherwise I will regret.

I hope you are feeling little better now, please pm me if you feel like talking to someone in person.

Good luck.

H

agreed with Monk- try your best and don't think too much about the result. Whether you fail or not, it's really not that important, more importantly- have you tried your best...

we all struggled- you are not alone :-)