Interruption of PhD in Germany and money refunding

R

Hi to All!
The situation is as following: I've won the DAAD Scholarship and it will begin in September. But I have doubts because the research theme doesn't seem me interesting enough and I don't know German language (but University's work language is English).
I want to go to Germany for 1-2 months and estimate all the thingd "on the place": probably my fears are just nothing.

So the question is as following: Should I repay the money DAAD spent to me if I interrupt the PhD? And will I be in the "black list", i.e. with no ability to win DAAD grant again?
All answers are welcome!! I need your advice!

P.S., to moderator: I created this thread because the name of my previous one ("Consequences of breaking PhD in Germany?") doesn't reflect the issue and because there is no way to edit the title of the thread.

B

Well you always have to state any previous support from DAAD on their application forms, so while I doubt they have an official black list, I rather suspect that they would be unwilling to risk funding you again if you dropped out. As to repaying them: does it not say anything about this on your DAAD national office site? I think for some countries that if you drop out during the first semester you do have to repay the grant, but I'm not sure whether it would apply to all nationalities. The funding schemes vary so much depending on nationality that it's hard to tell.

R

Quote From bewildered:

I doubt they have an official black list, I rather suspect that they would be unwilling to risk funding you again if you dropped out

This is what I meant concerning the "black list": no grant in future :)

Quote From bewildered:

As to repaying them: does it not say anything about this on your DAAD national office site? I think for some countries that if you drop out during the first semester you do have to repay the grant, but I'm not sure whether it would apply to all nationalities. The funding schemes vary so much depending on nationality that it's hard to tell.

There is no information on DAAD's regional oficial site (my country is Russia). And there is even no clear information from documents they sent me.:-( As follows from their documents, they could either ask me to repay or not ask.
And the problem is that if they ask to repay then I'll have no money to do this because I'm not rich.:-(