Is £24k reasonable for a PhD graduate starting salary?

W

Yeah I worked in schools too obv that's the before deducting for term time pay just trying to make an example that it's not a great wage esp for Cheshire.

I was an employability adviser/teacher pre PhD and I'd advise If you are not going to take it and they aren't paying expenses it could be a futile exercise to just go for the interview experience. As it is a start up with that salary that doesn't make the job an attractive proposition the interview probably won't be indicative of what it is like to go for a really sought after position. You'd probably get better interview technique training/practice for free through Uni. Check first if they are paying expenses. If not I wouldn't go. If you think you have a chance of getting it and you would take it really consider taking it because even though it's a lower wage than you would like and probably lower than the market it is easier to get another job once you are in a job.

You need to weigh up how much you need the money and what other opportunity it would give you. Also weigh up what the move costs would be, not just your rent when you get there but actual moving your belongings and rent upfront etc (and out again if you plan to leave in say 12-18 months!).

Glad I've another 6 months grace before I have to start thinking about jobs! eek

C

My pay wasn't just term time, as we worked all through all the holidays when the kids weren't there, I think I got 18k and that was seen as incredibly good for that job as people in the next county (with perhaps slightly lower living costs) got 13k for exactly the same job. Differs from council to council I guess!

For interview costs I've found it's hit and miss whether you get expenses back, charities almost never give you as they can't afford it, universities and government agencies seem to be good at giving expenses, private companies I think are 50/50 whether they will give you anything. If your funding has been extended and you really aren't sure about this job maybe the interview experience isn't worth that cost? It's a hard one to judge though just go with your gut!

W

Wow Caro that was low for all year work. Seems like you're expected to work for peanuts! Let us know how you get on.

C

It was a few years ago though maybe 2010! Might be closer to 20k now, but to be honest I felt pretty rich when I worked there, but my rent was less than half what it is now hah!

C

Update: So I went up to this interview this past Tuesday. Had to drive up on Monday and stay in a Pub hotel because it was relatively - yes just marginally - cheaper than taking a train on the day and and getting there in time.
The interview started well, they talked about the company and what they do, what the new lab will be doing etc. Then I talked about my education and experience. Being a chemistry role, they then drew up a structure and asked me how to go about making it. I kind of 'expected' something like this to happen but I was still not prepared enough I guess as some of the stuff on there was something I did in my undergraduate some nine years ago!!
Overall it was a good experience for me - this being my first interview for a career - and since I'm not desperate for this role considering the money and the move it will involve, I think it's made me identify areas I can develop on for my next potential interviews.
I should hear from them by the end of the week whether I am successful or not but to be honest I won't be surprised if I don't get it and will be happy to not have to turn it down!