Is a low 2.1 = 2.2 in their eye?

T

I am a third year student and I am now trying to apply for a PhD in school of pharmacy london. I have obtained only a low 2.1(60.something%) after the second year which is pretty disappointing. I am sure I would get a much better result after this term. I have tried to avoid providing my actual percentage to them and hoping that they can interview me before they look at my actual results so that I can actually persuade and impress them in person. However the registry has told me that they required me to provide the percentage before the application has go any further!damn! I would be very happy if anyone here can tell me about the chance of me getting through to the interview part?

M

Well, firstly, does that average include your first year, or is it second year only? Also, I think it depends on the marks gained in exams related to the PhD. For example, if two people both have your average, but one has 75% in a neuroscience module and 50% in a pharmacokinetics modules, and another person has the reverse, the former would be at an advantage with a neuroscience-related PhD. When all's said and done, I would suggest that they're more likely to look at your references than one or two exams scores, especially second year exams. They'll also want to see how you perform in interview.

S

i think how you come across in the interview plays a big part, some supervisors have said some (not all) first class standard students think they should get it no problem so dont try in the interview and rely upon their marks.. whereas those with lower marks take the time to research the project etc.. so all is not lost!

P

I would just like to say that I've got a measly 2.2 degree and managed to get ESRC funding for a PhD. My PhD was an advertised post.

I really had to fight in the interview, as the other candidates all had 1sts and 2.1s. I proved my ability by obtaining further MSc degrees after my BSc(Hons). I have 2 MSc degrees (1 from UCL). In order to improve my profile I tried to get as much experience as I could with professionals and obtained some publications, despite having the dreaded 2.2.

I hope I've given you some hope that perhaps underperforming at undergrad is not the end of the world-but it will make things difficult later on if you do!