Is a research grant linked studentship the same as a quota studentships offered to departments

D

For the ESRC and EPSRC or are they two different things?

V

Hi Dee-

It's a real minefield and this is purely from my experience of the ESRC last year; the ESRC runs two types of award (generally, there are others..) the quota and the open competition. Quotas are allocated directly to university departments by the ESRC and the departments then nominate students to receive these- they are usually in a specific subject area which the ESRC chooses to prioritise. The number of awards depends on how many the ESRC chooses to allocate to a given university/department in that year. However, the ESRC also runs an open competition and university departments put forward candidates for this. It is run nationally, is extremely competitive and there are now (at least for last year) far less awards awarded in this way (about 100 over all ESRC disciplines).

There are also university research scholarships which are often funded by the university itself, and sometimes endowed scholarships which come from specific departments. I hope that helps;

D

So can I apply for both separately as the studentship from the quota provides a ssest abount but the other one doesn'tlike it covers travel, fieldbwork and if you have children or a disability maybe those expenses or part of.

V

Hi Dee- as far as last year was concerned you can either be nominated for the quota award or be put forward for the open competition but not both. However, I think in most universities if you are put foward for the open comp you can still also apply for the university/endowed scholarships. There are differences between all of these in terms of the total amount you receive and the specific terms and conditions (endowed are sometimes slightly less, quota, open and university scholarships usually around 12K). And there are also fees only awards (both esrc and university awards); but I think in terms of extra research costs etc the awards vary from award to award. Might be worth checking the FAQ's on the esrc.ac.uk website, particularly the section on postgrad awards though it's a bit of a pain to navigate!

A

Dee, they are two very different funding bodies i.e. I'm not sure one project will be come under the funding criteria for both???

The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) is the UK's leading research funding and training agency addressing economic and social concerns.

Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
The UK Government's leading funding agency for research and training in engineering and the physical sciences

D

The research grant academics apply for on students behalfs so can I apply to that one and my university quota?

V

Hi Dee; Is the 'research grant' offered by the ESRC, the EPSR or the university? Is it something to do with the +3 studentship program or is it different?

It might be best to ask at the department and university where you want to study..

D

This is what I'm referring to if I haven't explained myself well

http://www.esrc.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/opportunities/current_funding_opportunities/grant_linked.aspx?ComponentId=13153&SourcePageId=5964

A

Dee, do you have a specific supervisor and project in mind at this stage?

V

Hi again Dee; I'm not too familiar with the research grant linked studentship but after reading the section on the website I think to apply your supervisor must firstly be a recipient of an esrc research grant (not including small grants or post-doc) for a project they are undertaking. They (I think) then decide that they would like a PhD student working with them as part of their research team and then contact the esrc for the studentship. If you do know of a supervisor who is undertaking a large piece of esrc funded research and he/she wants you to go down this route I don't think (though you never know with the esrc!) that this would have any bearing on your open and/or quota applications.
Hope I havent completely misunderstood the website!

S

My understanding is that you can only apply for the open competition or the studentship. The open competition requires you to have the support of an institution and a supervisor - this shows you have a place and your institution will support you. There is no guarantee your institution will get the money for you - it can go anywhere

The ESRC also allocates out studentships - the instition has guaranteed places and selects the student it wishes to put forward for this.

You cannot apply for both

D

Can academics apply for them and ask to include a studentships? Are they separate from postgraduate burasies?