Is anybody working tonight?

J

is anyone else working tonight? i have heeps of proof-reading to do.

T

hehe, here in Finland, most people work slowly; so instead of me catching up deadlines, I need to push them to move faster, sort of making up deadlines..

C

How is Finland going?

O

the UK has a different pace of work too I think than I ran into in the US, although it could just be my limited experiences and no generalities to be made, but people in the UK seem to think you are mad if you are working on a holiday, whereas in the US they would think you were brilliant and dedicated to your work. The UK has more holidays and people take them--there does not seem to be the overwork is good mentality that I saw in the US, well, not to the extreme anyhow.

O

And I should add, I think the UK mentality as I see it, taking holidays and such is a better, healthier one.

X

I totally agree Olivia. It's madness how little holiday-time workers in the US get. Americans are always so shocked when they hear how many days/year we are given in the UK. One of my friends in the States is currently getting a divorce. The reason he gave for wanting to separate was 'neglect'. His wife was working 70+ hours/week. Her phone was ringing continuously, and she just wasn't capable of enjoying anything outside of work. I'm not suggesting that this only happens in the States, this is a universal phenomenon for sure.