Is anyone scared to finnish?

S

Hoo, me too... submitting in september... and now beginning to panic for the viva. I'm writing so much there will be lots of holes because I don't have the time to go through things endlessly. A few of my friends wrote their PhDs and had around 6 months with different people reading their chapters, and playing and editing all the words to make them perfect. I have scheduled myself 2 days per chapter to edit... I write too wordily, my examiners will loose the plot as they try to wade their way through it, and I've put so much in the thesis there are gaps I haven't the time to fill. But on the positive, I've presented my work quite a lot and got really positive feedback, so I've gained confidence that the core of my work is good... it's just a bit baggy around the edges

T

I know how you feel, my supervisor tells me everything is ok and that my work is up to standard. I have my doubts, sometimes I worry that I might be dead wrong. I've just about finished making corrections to the thesis (its taken me a year and around 50 revisions,) I've started making sure of everything and trying to head off any nasty questions in the viva.

cont..

T

Staying motivated is hard when your really concerned about the work. I found that taking calming stuff helped as once the panic subsided I was able to think clearly and work on talking one problem at a time.