Is it all research?

C

Hi there

Ive posted a few things on this forum and got some great feedback. One thing that puzzles me. I am looking to possibly go into a career in lecturing hence having to undertake a PhD. I quite enjoy the aspects of teaching and running tutorships and supervising students on dissertations and so forth. However a few people have to said to me that a career in lecturing is 80% research and 20% teaching.

Is that true?????

I would love to undertake research into my subject but I also want to teach .

Please help!

A

The division between teaching and research varies, some lecturer posts may be 50:50, others will have different proportions assigned. If for you, it's all about the teaching, then you could aim to be a teaching fellow (100% teaching), rather than a lecturer.

G

Maybe you would be best to coinsider FE, as opposed to HE.

S

A lot depends on the department - some will give you a lot of research time, whereas others are more focused on teaching

C

Hi there thank you for the replies.

Forgive my ignorance but what would be the difference in a career path between a lecturer and a teaching fellow?. Also what is the difference in job prospects salary scales etc

D

To follow up on Golfpro's post, be careful about going into FE. I was a lecturer in a large FE college in London for 6 years. I started teaching English A level and ended teaching basic skills on a construction course....
To get more a teaching role in HE, go for the post-1992 universities - they tend to put more emphasis on teaching rather than research

G

Oh I agree re FE. A lot of what's wrong with education can be found in FE. That said if you want to teach, and aren't overly keen on research it is an option [a pretty crap one but an option].