Is it good news or bad news?

B

Hi everyone ..

So, I'm awaiting for a month or so now the outcome of my resubmission .. I have no idea the ''normal'' length of time to hear back though I'm guessing it takes a while.

The examiners were happy with my initial viva but can call me for another viva should they want to do so - as I have not heard anything yet, and the examiners would have been asked when sent the thesis, if a second viva was required, I am not sure what to think.

Is all this good news or bad news? And can the resubmission be failed without at least giving me chance to defend further in a second viva?

Thanks for your help! Any comments, experiences most welcome! Good luck everyone!

M

======= Date Modified 02 Mar 2012 18:46:09 =======
Hi there. I am partly on the same boat. After an R&R and a first viva I was told I must resubmit my thesis early next year. As you can imagine, the news were devastating as I have been working on this thesis full time since early 2007. I do feel really sad since everyone I know get away with minor corrections, but hey, I cannot help it; I can only do my best. Anyway, the past is the past, now I look forward to the future.

Now, with respect to your problem...Whether you have a second viva depends entirely on your university and examiners. My university requests a second viva and there is no way I won't have a second one - the rules are very strict. However, my external examiner on the day of my first viva told me that their university does not request a second viva after a resubmission.

The fact that you do not have news about a second viva does not necessarily mean that they don't like your revised thesis. You simply need to give them some extra time. Resubmission is like first submission. It is a slow process and you should probably expect to hear back from them in 2 months from the day of resubmission, rather than earlier. I understand that you are concerned about graduation deadlines, but I am sure that this should be at the back of our minds. The drama of resubmission has surely cost us a lot psychologically - if we have to wait an extra month or so, things are not THAT bad... the worst has passed...

I would like to congratulate you on your resubmission and wish you best of luck. I must admit that students like you give me courage that I can make it. There is no way of quitting. There is no way back. Failing is not an option.