is it really that bad?

C

i came to this forum for help and advice finding a PhD, yet many of the posts here are related to how stressed, depressed and dissatisfied people are. So my question is, is it really that bad? cos it's making me think maybe i should rethink my whole career path!

J

I will be honest with you, yes it really is that bad but not all the time. Sometimes its really good and sometimes its really crap, its like anything in life. No doubt some ppl will disagree with me and find it good all the time. For me the good bits make it worthwhile.

O

Unfortunately it is really that bad. I don't want to assume that nobody out there enjoys the research process, but it can be bloody hard sometimes.
Would I start again if I had known it before: NO
Would I recommend anybody starting a PhD: NO
Is it fun at all: NO
Is it easy: NO
Is it comparable to Master/UG studies: NO
Is it worth all the hassle: Don't know yet

BUT and this is a very big but: it's an amazing experience and a personal challenge. The feeling of achievement in the moment of completion must be out of this world. But as I said before, the actual process can be depressing from time to time. There are highs and lows and both can be extreme.

B

Its a complete rollercoaster. You have to really love what you are doing to stick it out. The bad times are rubbish, but the good times are amazing!

D

A lot of it depends on how much you like your project/doing research! You have to be passionate about your topic and know you will succeed however long it takes (it can be a very long time without feeling you are getting anywhere!) This is most important when you are plodding along trying to get results - it can be very disheartening! But perseverance will get you thorough! And also a lot of motivation and self-belief! You need to have an inner drive to know that you will succeed otherwise you will find it tough as research can be very laborious and repetitive especially you work in a lab!

D

However, on the positive side it is a huge achievement to finish your project and become an "expert" in your field! Or just to know you survived the process! And "Dr." sounds good! It is not a decision to be taken lightly as you have to be 100% committed and like research! And being a little or very crazy certainly helps! I would suggest that people should think about the reasons they want to do a PhD - it is not an extension of uni! Think of it more like a full time job (and possibly more than that!) Doing a masters and getting work experience is definitely a good idea as you can see if is really for you. Master courses are intensive and fun as you are in with a group of people who are doing the same stuff as you! It may not be like this at PhD - it is very much an individual journey which you have to decide if you can stick it out in good times and bad! I think all in all that it is worth it, however, tough the journey! I just want the stupid hat at the end!!!

D

Sorry post was too long so read the bottom one first for it to make sense.

I am sure there are people out there who enjoy their PhDs ...