Is it the end of my academic caree

B

======= Date Modified 07 Jan 2012 03:36:10 =======
I studied at a top Law School in India for my LL.B. degree. But because of certain personal problems, I messed up my aggregate score. I graduated with 49%. The class topper got a 64%.

I wish to pursue a career in academia, and would have to do my masters (LL.M.) and later on a PhD in my field of interest. I'm basically interested in International Trade Law and Corporate Laws.
I have lost all confidence in my score. What should I do? Which decent and respectable Universities are relatively easier to get into?

Please help! What should I do? How can I make my application stronger?

Thank you.

A

Hi Bruce

In order to get into a top law school - you must be pretty smart. Because of personal problems - you did not get the marks you would have done under normal circumstances. That does not mean you should give up on your plan. That was then, and this is now.

Many people do a Masters before a PhD. That might be your first goal. How to make your application stronger? - practical experience working in your chosen field can be very useful. Would you consider working for a law firm for a few years before starting more studies?

One thing to remember is careers in Academia are frequently not well paid - and insecure. There is a large University close to where I live in England. 50% of the women lecturers are on temporary contracts.

Angelette