Is my potential supervisor any good?

H

"I knew it, because later on, when she went on explaining the "problem", my name was mentioned!!!
It was something like "Emmaki seems crap and her research is not interesting and can't have a good result".
I don't know if I am crap or not (I want to believe that I am not) but my research is working fine and so far I have some very interesting results.... I didn't reply to that email, because I thought that the world of academia is quite small and sometime in the future I may need that particular professor"

Emmaki, you made a very smart choice and were lucky. Sorry but I had to laugh when I read your lines even how miserable I am with my case currently.

Ogriv, my university is one of the top in the UK. and I have been treated very badly and the School is full of toxic. After going through hell, and like everyone else has advised you; go for supervisors who do care for you and your work, not the name of the univ. I have made that huge mistake!

O

Well, let's see if she and I can manage to get funding first! I know quite a few people at some of the top universities and I don't think they understand why I would want to go anywhere lesser. But I'm quite a bit older than the average student and I think some of the 'new' universities can also be more understanding about those of us who might also have to work for a living - and also sometimes I think they have a better focus on applying the research, and on understanding how to communicate it to laypeople.

I also do agree that my friends' posh supervisors with loads of publications annually are probably largely running on the labour of their lab students... a scenario my potential sup is probably dreaming will happen to her in about 10 years' time! I'd like to help her achieve that goal because I believe our sub-field has something very important to offer to the wider discipline... I'm sold. (If we can get the ruddy funding.) (up)(sprout)(up):-x(up)

E

Hi hydi.
Now, after almost 2 years, I am laughing, too. But back then I was furious!!!!!!!!
I am really lucky with my supervisors....
;-)

W

I honestly don't think there should be an issue with doing a PhD at an ex-polytechnic. The relationship you have with your supervisor is, as I'm finding out, key to the success of your PhD. The supervisor you describe sounds like a good 'un, so I'd be very tempted to work with them. On top of this, provided you produce a good PhD and get some publications in good journals, the institution does not matter (what I think anyway). Some of the top researchers in my field went to ex-polytechnics. Besides, some of these academics at red brick institutions can be really self-important and jumped up whip-cracking monkey drivers, who are only out for furthering their own career (a sweeping generalisation, I know) and 3 to 4 years at an institution you're not going to be happy at with a supervisor you don't get on with, even if it's the University of World Leading Academic Excellence, is a long time. A PhD is, after all, a piece of independent research that could be examined by one of these academics from an a classier establishment.

H

Quote From emmaki:

Hi hydi.
Now, after almost 2 years, I am laughing, too. But back then I was furious!!!!!!!!
I am really lucky with my supervisors....
;-)

Emmaki,
No doubt that you were furious. But importantly, you are smart to hold your anger not to say anything at the time, and you made a very good decision. I wish I could have forseen that on my case when my principal supervisor kept on saying that she invited me to 1-1 meetings but I never received her emails:-( and should leave the programme right away. They must have chit chat about me too :-). I didn't realise that the academia is quite a small network, ouch!

Walminskipeas,
I could not agree more on what you wrote and, "The relationship you have with your supervisor is, as I'm finding out, key to the success of your PhD". I never have the experience of "a oood supervisor" so couldn't say. But I could see from my colleagues how successful they are in their PhD process because they have good supervisors. I sit right next to one of my colleagues who has 3 very nice supervisors and I always wished if I could be in her shoes, even just to have one of her supervisors. I have to say, bad supervisors really pull you down even how well you are doing on your PhD, and finally you have doubts in what you do. Don't know if it is because of them or because of you anymore. Sometimes, I feel like I ought to try the PhD again in another univ. and maybe this time, I may be lucky to have a nice supervisor. However, after having bad experience, it is just like having nightmares. It would take time to heal and recover.

I believe PhD is another learning process and if you are good with your work, you will be recognised from anywhere and by everyone. Doesn't matter where you get your PhD! I shall also remind myself of what I just said if I do embark again on a PhD in the future.