Is there any possible way of gaining a PhD with a 2.2 in my undergrad, without doing a Masters first??

K

I am a recent graduate with a 2.2 in my biochemistry degree and I really want to start my PhD. I was aiming for a high 2.1 in my undergrad but I was sick for one of my final exams and I ended up failing that particular exam, as a result this brought down the average mark of my other exams to a 2.2. I love doing research and when I found out that I got a high 2.1 in my final year thesis I was gutted.
I had been selected for competition based PhD interviews but once I got my 2.2 result I would not even be accepted for a second round interview.
I do know that there is a lot of self-funded PhD's on offer, so would it be possible to obtain funding myself?
I know that to do a Masters is an option but I just wanted to check if at all possible could I get my PhD without, as I will have to wait another year to start a Masters.
I am also looking into the option of doing a graduate research assistant job and doing my PhD part time if possible, is there any advise anyone could give me??
Thank you very much!!

L

======= Date Modified 12 Nov 2009 21:18:46 =======
Generally to get funding you would need at least a 2.1. I'm pretty sure that you can get into a PhD with a 2.2 if you self fund(i'm not 100% sure). However you could apply for an MPhil, which basically is the first year PhD and then get upgraded to the PhD after a year, so you'll be a PhD student in your 2nd and 3rd years.