Is there any way for new PhDs to actually get jobs / post-docs?!

M

Dear All,

This is the first time I have posted to the forum. I have read it on and off (mostly off) over the years but – when I have looked at it – it has always been a good source of information. Moreover, there is a lot of compassion shown to members who have not achieved what they want in academia.

Here is my situation:

I'm 34. I possess a PhD (awarded in August) from a relatively prestigious London University. I'm in the Department of Geography – that's Human Geography not Physical. The PhD is broadly 'cultural' and the original material derived from interviewed I conducted. I'm not suggesting that a mathematical or pure science PhD would put me in a better position. However, I do think that it would be easier for such graduates to articulate their specific skills. (This is an assumption – I could be totally wrong).

Anyhow, my point is that I am to all intents and purposes unemployed. I recently went to my former University to do some colour printing for free and was stopped in the hallways by one of the staff. “Oh, you must be doing a post-doc” he said somehow labouring under the misapprehension that thousands of post-doctoral positions are crying out for people like me to apply. I, frankly, do not see many post-doctoral positions that are suitable. In fact, I've not seen any.

I have two papers submitted. One was returned and asked for major corrections within two months. I think this is do-able. The other was only submitted last week. My point is that I should, hopefully, have two papers accepted by early 2014. It's not as if I've been doing nothing for the past couple of months.

See next post...

M

I have, however, zero teaching experience. I never really thought about teaching when I was studying except on one occasion when I was told that nothing was available. Some students did 'demonstrating' but this was mostly statistics which I have no clue about. Most job applications seem to demand teaching experience.

I am not someone who has made a lot of contacts over the PhD years, However, I did make a few. I've written to a number of these academics asking for advice. Do they know of any suitable positions? Are there any people they think I should get in touch with? Are there any institutions I may have overlooked? So far only two people have replied but I know that replies can often take several weeks.

Generally, however, I am worried about my future. I need to generate some kind of income soon. I can't keep living off my parents who now support me with a monthly stipend! But I'm under-qualified for jobs yet post-docs seem non-existent. More broadly, I'm getting increasingly disillusioned with academic life. It has struck me that there is minimal support for students who have completed their PhD. I believe that most academics who have full-time positions (especially as Professors or Readers) are by and large unconcerned about the welfare of PhDs and those who have graduated.

Of course, I could look for jobs outside academic (which I have only done to a small extent). Yet, it is hard to explain what I have been doing for the last four plus years to people who have no idea what a PhD is. And, as mentioned, it's not like I have the direct skills to go into a profession. My skills are 'cultural' rather than 'empirical'. I'm not saying that my situation is automatically negative just that I lack 'real world' skills.

M

Moreover, looking at the forum, there are several people who have been searching for jobs for years! The British economy is simply not equipped to use our PhDs. And the academic environment with its lack of positions and dearth of interest in recent PhDs does not help.

I cannot continue to live as I am living. I would appreciate any suggestions no matter how 'blue skies' they may appear. I'm sure there are ideas that I simply haven't considered! Many thanks!

D

Hi,

You said any suggestions, so...

How about changing your field? So, instead of human geography moving into international management? There's more jobs in the business school. In short, publications win prizes...

We had a talk from an editor of the 'leading journal in the field' the other day. He started off in philosophy. Published his PhD as a book. Moved to politics. Got made redundant for not publishing journal articles. Moved in to the business school. Started from the bottom as a very low ranking research assistant. Learned the ropes. Published in journal articles. Then moved around a few different business schools...

I guess, intellectually your PhD would be more challenging than many of those in the business school. You might have to shift your emphasis a bit. But business schools tend to be broad churches...

B

I think key to getting a job in academia is understanding how it works. It sounds from your posts that this wasn't conveyed very well to you during your PhD. You might therefore find the guidance here helpful:
http://www.academiccareer.manchester.ac.uk/
Most PhDs do not get academic jobs, so I think you need to make a decision about how much you personally are prepared and able to invest in an academic job search and for how long. And if the answer is nothing then that is completely fine. I can only say that my PhD colleagues who didn't go into academia are doing much better financially than me! If you want to have a go though, then you need teaching experience. Send your cv to every geography department in London or near to where you are currently based - there might be some hourly paid work available in semester 2. Also ask your supervisor to be very honest about how competitive you are likely to be. It might help decision-making.
What else do PhDs do? http://www.vitae.ac.uk/policy-practice/14769/What-Do-PhDs-Do.html and other resources on that site might help. Also google alt-academic and you'll find a number of websites. Talk to a careers advisor at your university about how to sell your skills - many have special advisors for PhD students / graduates.

H

Quote From Dont_Run_On_Time:
Hi,

You said any suggestions, so...

How about changing your field? So, instead of human geography moving into international management?

Or, given your qualitative interview skills and experience, something related to health (which often attracts more funding avenues than other fields). See, for example,
It's not easy by any means, but there are ways to create your own opportunities, beyond simply waiting for suitable jobs to come up. One is to apply for an individual post-doc fellowship by writing a proposal (with a department's support) and applying to a research council/funding body. Another is to plug away intensely at the networking so that as soon as a suitable opportunity comes up somewhere, you spring to mind as a candidate. Finally, it probably pays to be adaptable, in terms of both geographical location, and academic niche. Think about what other research areas would benefit from someone with a skill set like yours, and search for questions that might engage you.

Finally, take all the advice you can get - from ex supervisors, careers services, here. And meanwhile see if you can plug those gaps in your CV - might your old department throw some informal teaching opportunities your way, for example?

Best of luck.

I read your predicament and see myself only six years ago. For me it was find a job, any job, whether in academia or the real world - that was despite being from a science / engineering background. My situation was compounded by a very bad second post-doc experience (they employed me, didn't actually want me, but were stuck with me as I'd signed the contract), meaning I didn't have a reference from that position. I also live in a bad unemployment area and personal reasons meant I couldn't move.

I agree that people do PhDs with little guidance as to what follows and not realising there is little prospect of a post-doc after. There is an oversupply of PhD graduates for available post-doc positions and if you want to return to the real world, then you have to overcome the labels "overqualified, will get bored" and "will be away the moment something better comes along".

I don't regret my PhD, though it has been of no benefit to my now real world life.

General points:

1) Persevere - keep trying and don't give up.

2) As mentioned, look outside your field. Is there something else you can do with your skills set? Many people end up in jobs that do not match their Uni. skills set.

3) Loot at your CV and see what your main selling points are to a prospective employer, both general and specific to the job you are applying for. Taylor your CV and cover letter to focus on the qualities you have that you feel would bring something to the job. If you've significant works experience prior to your PhD, bring this to the fore for a non-academic job moving the focus away from your PhD.

4) You mention the words 'cultural' and 'empirical'. How about 'quantitive' and 'qualitative'? Is there any extra training that could give you extra empirical, quantative skills?

5) Talk to your Uni. careers office, who may be able to give you more specific advice.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

I'll also add having a fairly large number of publications didn't really help me that much as I ended up outside academia, where there is indeed a general lack of understanding of what a PhD actually is. In my case, trying to sell it as "a highly technical materials engineering project with potential future ramifications for transport technology" was still not enough to overcome the stuffy, ivory tower perception of a PhD.

That said, I would still do a PhD if I could turn the clock back as I really wanted to take one on and for the right reasons (the chance to do a challenging research project that would add original, ground-breaking data and information to my chosen field) though I would be a little more careful with my choice of post-docs.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

I

Hey monkeyman
This is so similar to my situation now! So first of all, know you're not alone! I got my PhD several months ago but I also decided to leave the UK- as an economist I know the situation is not going to get better anytime soon. I'm currently in Canada, where I've been teaching math and econ (high school and college level) and part-time teaching at U of T (as a visiting scholar).
When I moved to Canada I didn't have anything secured! I went there for the sake of a change of scenery and to challenge myself and put myself outside the comfort zone. Just by dropping in and asking a college close to where I live now they told me that they are desperate for math teachers and a week later I started. If you can afford it or ur parents could help I'd really suggest travelling elsewhere to get experience.
As for postdocs, I'm applying for postdocs as I don't want to teach part-time forever like I am right now, and suffice to say they are extremely competitive especially in my field. I worked in the private sector (banking/commodity trading) prior to my PhD for 4 years so I'm not underqualified but I dread going into the private sector again.
My advice to you is to accept that you'll be in this limbo for a few months: I am since I don't consider this teaching I'm doing full-time. Try volunteering as a teacher in colleges/unis/schools as well that looks good on a CV.
Last but not least: EXIT FACEBOOK!! It ruined my life seeing how every1 else is married/in a relationship etc...focus on publications (which's what I'm doing now), try volunteering as a teacher, and don't despair: I'm also looking for postdocs/academic jobs and so far nothing- it will take at least a few months.

K

Just try to change the field, if no much opportunities in the current field, i know its hard to take decision at this age. But the thing is we need opportunity to work and earn right. I hope you are getting my point.

P

Have you considered teaching in schools? Under Michael Gove's dispensation, you won't be out of work in an English secondary school if you go down the route of teaching Geography in the secondary school sector. You'll need to gain a QTS, and with time (usually 5 years school teaching experience) you could move into the University sector and lecture on Secondary PGCE Geography programmes. Good luck.

M

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

I actually have a new idea now: see my latest post in a new thread.