Is there anyone else out there undertaking a creative PhD?

L

Hello shani, thanks for extending the metaphor. Works for me too.

Z

Hey leone, you might be interested in the avphd network (avphd.ac.uk). It's more about audio-visual/media practice-led work, but experience is similar in comprising a creative project and a thesis. I'm not doing it myself but know many people who are.

B

Hi Leone

Haven't written a novel as part of my PhD but have written one previously. It was a piece of historical fiction set around 8BC in the Middle East. I found that what helped me to construct the work was (1) having a good theme that I could research, (2) having central characters to bring to life, and (3) having some kind of puzzle to drive the story. The book was published, it didn't make me rich (just wanted to see if I could do it, actually). Since starting my PhD, I find lots of similarities in writing... having a theme, making links, joining things up. So, I guess, if you want/need to write a literary novel - there are a number of things to kick-start you.

B

Decide on genre. How might you build your story? What theme could you follow? A certain period in history, a strong character, a conundrum, a philosophical tale... all of these things are like your PhD question in a way... then, how you unravel them is like evidence and analysis... and I can, actually, see how that would tie into your PhD on creative writing... kind of like using the story as an empirical example of your understanding of the literary side of things (like genre, plot, character, etc.). Once you have your main idea/theme, and at least one (but preferably 2 or 3 key characters)... chapters can be built around the 'journey' made by characters and plot from concept to conclusion, if you like. Your experience of literary criticism should be able to assist here... instead of critiquing the author, try to 'be' the author instead, receiving the critique.

B

Sounds like a fabulous PhD, by the way, wish I'd know such a thing existed! Then again, maybe I'd lose the will to write if I had to put it under such close scrutiny!

L

Thanks for all the tips bakuvia. And congratulations on having had your novel published! I didn't know this type of PhD existed either until I came across it by chance, before that I was planning on something combining English and Arabic literature... but when I found this there was no looking back. Strangely, a large chunk of my story is also set in the Middle East, but it's modern day. I've lived in both Damascus and Cairo so it feels very familiar to me as a setting. The rest takes place in Wales however, where I grew up. I've kept it to three characters so that there's a tight focus - which I think makes for easier dramatic conflict. I'm sure I shall make a lot of mistakes in the first draft - but hopefully I shall learn from them.

L

Also thankd to you, zippy, I shall definitely check that out.

S

leone - I lived in Cairo for 5 years and visited Damascus. How was living in Damascus compared to Cairo? Where did you live in Cairo (...severe nostalgia setting in..)

My Arabic is pretty shabby though and getting shabbier....

L

Hi Smilodon,

I had a flat in Agouza. Where were you? Damascus was very different, certainly felt less liberal, but what was nice was that when you got fed up with it you could trot off over the border to Lebanon for a few days. I was in Syria first and for longer, so by the time I went to Egypt I had picked up Syrian dialect and a thick accent, which the Egyptiansd found endlessly amusing!

I'm not unhappy being back in the UK, but I miss it sometimes too.

B

I am doing a practice PhD in animation. Hopefully will have a film, or development of a film which relates to my research at the end of it!

L

Animation? That sounds great. What length of film are you aiming for? Feature or short?

B

Hiya, hopefully it will be a series of short films, very character driven...well thats the plan anyway!

S

I had flats in Dokki, Mohandiseen then Zamalek. I'm very fond of Cairo - not sure I'd like to raise kids there though. It's not the healthiest place on the planet! I had friends on the house boats along Agouza - now wasn't that the life?

I really liked Syria when I visited but I can imagine it would be very different to live there. There's a lot more going on in Cairo. Had a couple of brief trips to Beirut - very different again.

The Egyptian accent is useful - so well known from the film industry.

L

The good thing about Syria was that it was much easier to focus on learning Arabic, whereas in Cairo I found everyone wanted to practice their English!

It's funny you should mention children, as I've had a couple of friends who've deliberately moved back out there because they believe it offers a better life for their little ones. I'm not sure if I agree myself, but then again all that stuff in the media lately about children in the UK being some of the unhappiest in Europe is a bit worrying.

S

It's the actual physical health issues that would worry me - I guess it depends where you live. I'm pretty robust myself, but my husband had health issues that are incompatible with living there and that has made me a bit cautious for my daughter.

I've often had that problem living overseas - that people want to speak English rather than help practice thier own language. That's my excuse anyway for my sad second/third/whatever language skills