Is there chance to incprporate into bioinformatics after PhD?

I

Long story short: I've end up with MSc and PhD (which included microbiology, surface engineering, nanomedicine, image treatment, microfluidics and so on and so forth…) and THEN I’ve “discovered” bioinformatics. I would like to challenge and try to go for it. Very. Much.

Most job/postdoc offers require master or PhD with bioinformatics, computer science, computational biology, experience with next-generation sequencing etc... And, obviously, I have no demonstrable proof of doing anything similar. So now what?
Demand for bioinformatics is huge. Despite that, this is my second month of sending CVs (currently 95 of them) for any job/post-doc related with bioinformatics AND something I’ve did. And nothin’.

I’m really considering even technician positions, as this would open access to companies/people/marked. But nothin’.

Would You, please, share some ideas, how to “requalify”? Especially towards something as trendy as bioinfo? I will appreciate all suggestions and pieces of advice.

H

Would you consider an MSc/MRes in bioinformatics? Or some short courses? It is one of those disciplines where a Masters (or equivalent experience) probably would really help. I can't really see there being many technician roles.

Edited to add:
Out of interest, having had no prior experience in the field, what is attracting you to it?

I

Thanks for post, HazyJane. Where have You had experience with that?

I'd totally consider MSc/MRes. But isn't there any other way? Sequencer technician posts exists?

My interest in that: it's biology related, tehnology driven, close to patient, gives opportunity to produce real-life impact on medicine and enhance quality of life (great motivator for me), the field is totally on the rise. I can spend 8h daily developing pipelines and algorithms and start over the next day. I like numbers.

H

I'm not a bioinformatician but my experience borders on health informatics so I know quite a few people who work in those kind of fields. The work seems to be computationally intensive which is why I was asking what attracted you to the field, as it might not be that similar to what you're used to. But if you already have some kind of coding/programming experience that will give you a better idea of what to expect.

I'm not sure that many bioinformatics roles are 'close to patients' though, so you might be disappointed on that front. A lot of it will likely be very data-focussed and be somewhat detached from both bench science and applied health research (though an understanding of each will be valuable).

Wouldn't a sequencer technician mostly be responsible for running sequencing, rather than handling outputs? By all means continue to apply for roles, but I think there's a good chance you won't be successful unless you have some documented skills/experience in relevant software/programming approaches. Another thing you might like to consider is emailing the people advertising jobs that you aspire to (even if you haven't yet quite got the right CV) and asking them for advice on what training you should undertake.

I

Thanks HazyJane.
Basically You have backed-up my plan "B" - I'm going to send applications for some time, and than, if unsuccessful, focus on “junior programmer” positions in order to gain more experience in coding.
Thanks!