Is there life after 40 as a women with a PHD?

S

I was a young academic, and then decided to leave and work in the 'real' which lead me into education, research and training. However, time went on and I embarked on a PHD - after six months of intense study I will hand in my work in early June. what concerns me is what next? My experience is vast and includes HE, FE, Schools, Public and private sector how can I reap the benefits ....any help would be good please..

J

6 months of intense study for a PhD? Could it be you meant six years?

P

I am a woman of 40(ish) who will finish my PhD in two years and I am feeling positive about my future career. I do not have an academic career previously but hope my life experience and career as a journalist will stand me in good stead. I am trying to get as much experience now in teaching undergraduates, courses for the public and possible open university work in order to get a good job afterwards. But I do not think age is a major barrier. I have worked in the real world for about 12 years but when I have finished my PhD I will still have more than 20 years till I retire. With your experience pre-PhD I do not think you have anything to worry about at all. Most of the people I know doing PhDs are in their 30s or 40s.

S

Well what is it you want to do - why are you doing a PhD? You have a lot of experience in education which will be good for teaching posts.

I'm now 46 and writing up, and looking into doing a postdoc. A lot will depend on how flexible you are e.g. can you move to get a position somewhere. This is often the constraint when you are older - it certainly is for me. It means you have to be able to fit into the research agendas of the place(s) available to you and tailor your research accordingly. But my attitude is - no use worrying about my age because there is absolutely nothing I can do about it!

S

Thanks, for your responses - what I meant by the six months was the end part of the thesis (the overall took a lot longer..)I can move anywhereas my little girl is only 3 years old. Would consider working outside UK too. Do you know of any good sights to start exploring....I look forward to any advice when you are taking your next break...

Thanks

E

I am a little surprised at the utilitarian view shared here of reasons for taking a PhD. Surely the years of study have included a personal transition that few other occupations can match. As for your age, well being in the mid career age range certainly has its advantages for coping with a PhD in the first place, as well as being almost automatically assumed to be experienced in life. Something recruiters will fight for.

S

maybe it is just postdoc blues...I am sure you are right...

S

My daughter is nearly 3 too (Custer's last stand on all fronts)! My husband's job is not movable though. If I were free to move I would consider going overseas again too.

T

Is there life after 40 as a woman with a PhD? I certainly hope so. I don't know about the rest but I have invested nearly 4 years of my life in this PhD and refuse to believe there is no point to it.

Not that I am all that sure a career in academia is possible given my geographic location (Australia) and my inability to move elsewhere because of spouse's job and teenage child schooling.

J

I don't think 40 is the big thing that it used to be.

Though maybe I'm just saying that cos I'm already into my 30s